Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't set VCI / VPI / PPPoE LLC

Wolfpred
Tutor

Can't set VCI / VPI / PPPoE LLC

Hello.

I have a FTTH connection. My ISP installed the ONT and a router. I want to remove the ISP router and use my Orbi.

Problem: I have to set certain VCI and VPI values and I can't find where to do it within the Orbi settings. I also have to choose LLC type under PPPoe, and again I can't find how to do it anywhere.

Those three terms seem to be of common use, but I can't even find them mentioned in the user manual.

Up to now, I haven't been able to use my Orbi as my main router, and I don't want to use it just as an access point.

Thanks for your time.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Wolfpred
Tutor

Re: Can't set VCI / VPI / PPPoE LLC

Unknown.jpeg

As it turns out, the spanish forums were fast and reliable. I needed the VLAN which I already had setup and NO USER/PASSWORD.

Niiiiiiiiice. Silly, but niiiiiiiiice.

I'm already posting with just the ONT + Orbi.

Thanks for the help, I've learned a few things through the issue.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the Orib may not support your ISP configration, so you may need to keep the ISP router and use the Orbi as a router in the ONTs DMS or configure the Orbi in AP mode.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

I suggest you try options 2 or 3. 

Message 2 of 14
Wolfpred
Tutor

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am a bit disappointed by the possibility of the Orbi not supporting my ISP settings. As far as I know, they're quite normal and comparable to many other ISP around here.

Today I will try your second option, I think it has the best advatages. As long as I get the speed and the drops stop I'll be pleased.

As a side note: today I also disabled CG-NAT with my ISP and now I have a normal public and dynamic IP address. Do you believe having CG-NAT might have been a problem when trying to set the Orbi as the only router after the ONT? I might try it again.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 14

@Wolfpred wrote:

I am a bit disappointed by the possibility of the Orbi not supporting my ISP settings. As far as I know, they're quite normal and comparable to many other ISP around here.

Let us into the secret as to who this ISP is and maybe a fellow customer can help.

As you say, most ISPs use standard settings.

Message 4 of 14
Wolfpred
Tutor

Pepephone, using Movistar network, in Spain.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it goes...

Message 6 of 14
Wolfpred
Tutor

Will do. Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Doesn't make sense to me. Your (Pepephone) ISP does run ATM PVC on a fiber ONT? Unlikely anywhere near to normal. In the DSL world (two wire), the ATM PVC settings are configured on a modem, the router behind does "simply" PPPoE and the authentication - this is what every router or OS can handle. In a fiber/GPON environment it's typically Ethernet, very unlikely ATM. And I can't think of any decent router or SOHO/SMB security appliance supporting ATM over Ethernet.

Isn't it more that your ISP does run some specific VLAN, either with transparent TCP/IP or a PPPoE encapsulation?

Do you probably mix information available from where ever for your ISP but applicable to DSL (two wire) instead of a fiber ONT?

Quickly challenged some old friends with another router maker - here the proof that they use Ethernet and VLANs, definitively no ATM. Borrowed from here:

Moviestar_ES ENET ENCAP with VLANs.PNG

Message 8 of 14
Wolfpred
Tutor

I understand all this stuff but not as deeply as I'd like.

I believe, and I am quite sure, that it's a VLAN. I do have the information about it for my ISP (ID 20 and priority 0) and I already set it up within the Orbi's configuration. If all the other things (VPI, VCI, ATM, LLC... ) are not needed for fiber connections, the case will probably be that the PPPoE user and password I have are not the correct ones.

My ISP (Pepephone is its name) is what here is called a "virtual ISP". This might be common but I don't know so I explain just in case. They borrow the physical installation from other IPS to give me service. Pepephone mainly borrows the network from the ISP Masmovil, but recently they started borrowing it from Movistar too, as in my house.

It might be that the user and password for the Pepephone PPPoE connection that can be found on Internet are not valid for me, since they might be different for Movistar borrowed connections.

Right now I believe my situation looks like this:

• Wait for spanish forums to publish PPPoE user and password for my current situation, in case they have changed and that's my real problem.
  • Find a way to extract them from the ISP router I have (ZTE ZXHN H367A). I'd love this.
  • Keep things as they are right now (ONT + ISP Router + Orbi as router) with the Orbi's IP in the ISP router DMZ. Up to now, almost two days, no hiccups.

I'm really grateful for your answers, at the very least I'm learning a lot.

Message 9 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Hard to say - challenge the ISP for the details required. Their service might reside on a different VLAN, or is differentiated just by the authentication credentials where a specific domain does point to that "virtual" ISP RADIUS server handling the authentication. 

Again, the network is (almost certain - my friends selling and supporting large amounts of CPE to Telefonica) Ethernet based, no ATM and DSL in the play, so you can forget these DSL specific settings.

Message 10 of 14
Wolfpred
Tutor

Some updates:

• Since I set up the DMZ on the first router (ISP), the Orbi has not suffered any hiccups. It's true that I've mostly been in a part of the house where the main router reaches me. I've yet to try the satellite stability. Anyway, it's a WIN.
  • I aggree with you in that some of the parameters I've listed are only for DSL connections and they don't matter for FTTH. I believe the Orbi can manually set everything I need, which is the VLAN ID and priority, as well as the PPPoE user and password.
  • Pepephone, my ISP, can share with me the details of ADSL connections, but they are not in posession of the FTTH parameters. They say that's complicated information that only the technicians have and it's easier for them to just provide me with the router already set up. That being the case, the don't know the parameters and they cannot get them. They don't have a way to put me in contact with the technicians. This road is closed.

My next move is to ask in spanish forums where parameters for other ISP / situations are shared. Maybe a kind soul knows and shares them.

Message 11 of 14
Wolfpred
Tutor

Unknown.jpeg

As it turns out, the spanish forums were fast and reliable. I needed the VLAN which I already had setup and NO USER/PASSWORD.

Niiiiiiiiice. Silly, but niiiiiiiiice.

I'm already posting with just the ONT + Orbi.

Thanks for the help, I've learned a few things through the issue.

Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

As mentioned before: That's almost the de-facto standard with most carriers - plain Ethernet encapsulation, know the VLAN(s) for Internet (and e.g. IPTV), and of course no authentication required  Nothing silly - they know where the fibers are going to 8-)

Message 13 of 14
Wolfpred
Tutor

The solution was a silly one. Not them 🙂
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements