× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Unblock Occulus Quest

trabba
Tutor

Cannot Unblock Occulus Quest

I successfully connected the Occulus Quest 2 to the Orbi RBR50.  It worked well for a couple of weeks.  When I used the "block internet access" function via the app it would not recconnect.  I have gone into the Admin console and tried to unblock internet access and it will not allow it to unblock.  We have tried factory resetting the occulus and forgetting the network to no avail.  There was a reboot of the orbi as well.  It would be great if anybody has any experience with this...there seem to be a few threads related to this function not working well.  Any help appreciatedScreen Shot 2022-07-26 at 12.19.50 am.png

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@trabba wrote:
Thanks Crimp on. Yep have followed this steps. Also went into the edit function to try an alternate way. This does not work either.

Have you tried disabling Access Control completely?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Sometimes I forget to follow through all the steps:

• Check the box next to the device that is blocked.
  • Click the "Allow" Button.
  • Click the "Apply" Button.

I understand that people are drawn to this Access Control feature, but (personally) I find that it seems to cause more problems than it is worth.  If someone can guess my 20 character WiFi password, they are welcome to steal my WiFi, provided that they can get close enough to my house to get a good signal.  I leave it turned off.

Message 2 of 9
trabba
Tutor

Thanks Crimp on. Yep have followed this steps. Also went into the edit function to try an alternate way. This does not work either.
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@trabba wrote:

Have you tried disabling Access Control completely?

Message 4 of 9
trabba
Tutor

Sure Have...access control is turned off and still the device is blockedScreen Shot 2022-07-26 at 8.21.01 pm.png

Message 5 of 9
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Trabba,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having difficulties changing the network access permissions on your RBR50 for your Occulus Quest. Please ensure that your device is not listed in the "view list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network" section.

If your Occulus is listed remove it by selecting "REMOVE FROM THE LIST" before following the instructions below. 

Please follow the instructions listed below to resolve this issue:

• Select "Refresh" (Located on the right of  "EDIT")
  • Check the box of the Occulus Quest
  • Select "Allow"
  • Then select "Apply"

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 9
trabba
Tutor

Thanks Kevin...still doesnt work with the Access control on.  Solution has been to turn off access control completely

Message 7 of 9
trabba
Tutor

Hi Crimp on...this is the solution.  I have disabled access control.  I am assuming that devices still need a password to connect and that this function only gives me the ability to throttle / block devices once they are on the network.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@trabba wrote:

Hi Crimp on...this is the solution.  I have disabled access control.  I am assuming that devices still need a password to connect and that this function only gives me the ability to throttle / block devices once they are on the network.

I have a suspicion that if you ever (even once) use the Orbi app feature to "Pause" a device (any device), that will instantly activate Access Control again.

My appreciation for swear words increased exponentially when by accident I found Access Control ON.  WTF? AlaKazam!  etc. etc.

How did THAT happen????

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series