× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot log in to one particular website from working Orbi LAN

dlong48
Aspirant

Cannot log in to one particular website from working Orbi LAN

I've had a working Orbi mesh for 2 years.  At some point in the last 6? months, I stopped being able to log into https://www.ring.com.  I can reach all other websites fine but, for ring.com specifically, when I enter my username and password, it says "invalid password".  I can log into ring.com if I plug my laptop directly into my cable modem/router (in place of the RBR50).  I can log into ring.com from other LANs/WANs besides my Orbi's.  Same thing happens when my laptop is hardwired to the Orbi router's Ethernet hub so it's not Wifi or Orbi Satellite related.  Same thing (different error message) from my iPhone's ring APP or the windows ring APP on my laptop or my wife's PC.  Same thing regardless of browser.

Was running firmware V2.5.1.8 and have now upgraded to V2.5.1.16; no change. Running in "Router Mode". No access controls or parental controls or blocked sites or blocked services on the Orbi, tried Google's DNS servers instead of my ISP's, tried different MTU's, tried various combinations of "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection", "Disable IGMP Proxying", "Respond to Ping on Internet Port", "NAT Filtering Secured vs. Open", "Disable SIP ALG".  Tried putting my laptop's IP as "Default DMZ Server". 

Suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you get a screen shot of the ring.com page complaining about the password?

What happens if you change the password to a different one?

I suppose the Orbi has been powered off and back on?

Message 2 of 8
dlong48
Aspirant

Screenshot attached.  It doesn't seem to be sensitive to the chosen password.  And, yes, I've power cycled the router.  Thanks for any help, folks.

Message 3 of 8
dlong48
Aspirant

Also tried downgrading to V2.3.5.30.  And, to clarify something I wrote earlier, I don't have a Cable router--it's just a modem (Netgear CM1000 running latest firmware).

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi would not be inhibiting a web site unless you set some parental controls. 

If you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch, clear ALL browser caches and try different browsers, the web site should work find. If not, you might contact the web sites admin to see if there is any thing they require to use and log in to there site. 

@dlong48 wrote:

Also tried downgrading to V2.3.5.30.  And, to clarify something I wrote earlier, I don't have a Cable router--it's just a modem (Netgear CM1000 running latest firmware).

Message 5 of 8
dlong48
Aspirant

Factory reset and restoring from the backed up config didn't help. Note that I can reach ring.com fine; it's just preventing me from logging in after I enter my username and password.  It's an https site so I may not be able to glean much from packet tracing.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

How very mysterious!  Do you have VPN enabled (Advanced tab... Advanced Setup... VPN Service)?

Something on the Ring side seems to be blocking your client IP only when it is handled by the Orbi network.  I found this Ring Community conversation that mentions a similar error message: https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-App/406-Not-Acceptable/m-p/38181.  In it they recommend calling Ring support at one of the phone numbers listed here: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406.

Message 7 of 8
dlong48
Aspirant

No VPN configured on the Orbi but my situation is very much like the case you found on the ring forum (thanks for finding that!)--I also had a runaway API thing that might have caused them to block me. I'll pursue things further with them.  An hour with 2nd level support didn't work but maybe they have a 3rd level Smiley Happy.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7