Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Determining if Orbi modem/router is necessary with system?

DarthNetwork
Aspirant

Determining if Orbi modem/router is necessary with system?

As I am about to purchase a 2-3 Orbi system. How do I determine if I should keep the router/modem I have and plug Orbi into it or eliminate all other products and just use Orbi products?

Sorry for the super newb question. Feel free to link me to a post as I could not find something similar to my question.
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

1. Depends on ISP service. Cable or DSL. 

2. Depends on if ISP support the use of user owned modem HW or not. 

3. Depends on if ISP service supports the use of stand alone modem only and not a modem/router combo. Preferred configuration for and ISP supported modem,  is a modem only for use with a external router like NG Orbi RBR40 or 50 series. Some ISP only support the use of a modem/router combo that they give the user. This combo can still work with the NG Orbi RBR series. 

4. If you want Orbi to be the cable modem and router, and if the ISP supports it, then the Orbi CBR40 maybe something you can review and look into. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Message 2 of 5

@DarthNetwork wrote:
....or eliminate all other products and just use Orbi products?

It is most unlikely that you will be able to ditch the modem, unless you have something like a fibre-optic link into your home.

Tell us what the existing modem is, the make and model number, and it should be easy to advise you.

It can be as simple as plugging the Orbi into the modem, or it may take a small tweak to disable some of its features. Rest assured that it does not take a PhD in network engineering to set this up, so you should be OK.

Message 3 of 5
DarthNetwork
Aspirant

After replys here (Thank you!), I am just going to the router with 3 satellites (RBK44). I do have FiOS (fiber optic) but I'll just use the Fronteir/Verizon provided modem/router combo and plug into that. Hopefully this sounds appropirate and will be successful.  If anyone feels motivated to check compatibility (or provide a link for me to research) The combo I have from company is an Arris NVG468MQ.

Again, appreciate your time and advice.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If your going to use the ISP ONT/Router, 

Couple of options for the Orbi configuration,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Gocd Luck

@DarthNetwork wrote:

After replys here (Thank you!), I am just going to the router with 3 satellites (RBK44). I do have FiOS (fiber optic) but I'll just use the Fronteir/Verizon provided modem/router combo and plug into that. Hopefully this sounds appropirate and will be successful.  If anyone feels motivated to check compatibility (or provide a link for me to research) The combo I have from company is an Arris NVG468MQ.

Again, appreciate your time and advice.  Thank you.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7