Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices connect to Orbi network, some devices don't get internet though (Orbi RBR850)

CurseLikeaSysAd
Aspirant

Devices connect to Orbi network, some devices don't get internet though (Orbi RBR850)

I've spent countless hours searching this forum, rebooting my ISP modem, rebooting and re-configuring my RBR850 (with 2 satellites) multiple times today.

The network is set up. I have 20 devices connected to it. ALL BUT TWO can access the internet.

To be clear, the 2 that cannot access the internet are on the correct SSID - it shows up on my Mac and iPad, I can select it, and it shows strong wifi connectivity. However, neither of those devices can access the internet. All 18 other devices have absolutely NO problem on the same SSID, accessing the internet.

I've gone to Orbilogon to make sure none of those devices are blocked. They are both Allowed.

I've checked my TCP/IP, DNS, Proxies settings on the devices that get internet and cross-checked settings on my 2 devices that do not. No major differences, besides, of course, unique numbers for the last number on the IPs. 

I'm out of ideas here. Everything else works fine. I've re-installed and re-set-up the network 4 times today and am tired of doing that. All satellites show as connected.

Ideas?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Devices connect to Orbi network, some devices don't get internet though (Orbi RBR850)

What are the devices that are failing to connect to the internet? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@CurseLikeaSysAd wrote:

The network is set up. I have 20 devices connected to it. ALL BUT TWO can access the internet.

To be clear, the 2 that cannot access the internet are on the correct SSID - it shows up on my Mac and iPad, I've checked my TCP/IP, DNS, Proxies settings on the devices that get internet and cross-checked settings on my 2 devices that do not. No major differences, besides, of course, unique numbers for the last number on the IPs. 

Both of the Apple products show the same subnet mask, gateway IP, and DNS as everything else, correct?

The gateway IP and DNS IP are that of the Orbi router (192.168.1.1), correct? and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0?

Are there by chance any other Apple products that DO work?

Do you ever use the Orbi "app" with this Orbi system?

Message 3 of 6
CurseLikeaSysAd
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What are the devices that are failing to connect to the internet? 

-Hi Furry - they are an iPad (previous gen, not the latest Pro crop) and a Macbook (latest gen, not Pro, not M1)

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

-I updated my Orbi system to the latest Firmware yesterday as a starting point when I did a clean install/config of the orbi system

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

It's a Fios  - just received the hardware a few months ago - will check on the ONT and NG mfr and model #, but would this be the issue if over a dozen other Apple (iPad, MacBook, iPhone) and Amazon and Ring and Sonos products connect seamlessly?)

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

- The router is definitely more than 30 feet from either satellite, but they have connected to the router and show strong signal. I'd be really surprised if that was the recommended range - I didn't see it on the link above, but thank you for sharing that. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

-Thank you for the suggestion - I'll have to give this a try when remote school/work/etc are over since I can't disable the wifi during the day.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

- Thank you again for this - will give it a try. Truly Appreciated.

Message 4 of 6
CurseLikeaSysAd
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@CurseLikeaSysAd wrote:

To be clear, the 2 that cannot access the internet are on the correct SSID - it shows up on my Mac and iPad, I've checked my TCP/IP, DNS, Proxies settings on the devices that get internet and cross-checked settings on my 2 devices that do not. No major differences, besides, of course, unique numbers for the last number on the IPs. 

Both of the Apple products show the same subnet mask, gateway IP, and DNS as everything else, correct?

The gateway IP and DNS IP are that of the Orbi router (192.168.1.1), correct? and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0?

Are there by chance any other Apple products that DO work?

Hi CrimpOn - that is correct. I have multiple Apple (and Amazon, and Ring, and Sonos) products that seamlessly connect to my Orbi without a problem. In fact, 18 devices are currently working just fine on it. It's just that my kid's iPad and Macbook do not. They connect to Orbi but do not access the internet. They, however, can connect to other networks.

Yes - both Apple products (that can't connect to internet) show the same subnet, gateway IP, and DNS - as the other Apple devices that do connect without a problem.

-I do, but with much frustration. It often doesn't discover the network, I've deleted and re-installed it many times. Currently, it is working, and I tend to use that first to check and see what devices are connected. I also go to Orbilogin as a back up.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@CurseLikeaSysAd wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

-I do, but with much frustration. It often doesn't discover the network, I've deleted and re-installed it many times. Currently, it is working, and I tend to use that first to check and see what devices are connected. I also go to Orbilogin as a back up.

Thanks

I had one bizzare occurance where all of a sudden one of my devices quit working and I found by accident that the "Pause" slider was activated on the Orbi app.  Had NO MEMORY of doing that on purpose.  As I recall, it had also turned on Access Control, which I do not use.  (My 25 character WiFi password has not yet been broken.)  The newest apple software makes "private" MAC addresses the default, and this messes with Access Control if it was defined with the hardware MAC address.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7