× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices not connecting to 5g even being 1ft away from router

rdiniz1111
Aspirant

Devices not connecting to 5g even being 1ft away from router

Hello everyone,

my main problem is stated on the subject: my devices are not connecting to 5g even being 1ft away from router/satellite, on the same room, no blocking objects.

When I try to change to 2g/5g channels sometimes the capable devices will connect to 5g (and work well) but then at some point soon they go back to 2g and my speed problems are back.

Also, sometimes the devices are not connected to the router/satellite near them. Again, talking about 1-3ft distances. I'm relying on the connected devices list on the admin section, but I'm not 100% sure it's 100% reliable.

My system is a RBR20, 1 router and 2 satellites. The router is on top floor and the satellites are wired connected on 2 bedrooms on the floor below the router. The satellites are around 30ft far from each other, with several concrete walls between them.

System firmware is V2.7.3.22 . The modem I use is on bridge mode, so the Orbi is my unique wifi system. There are 20+ others wifi networks around.

Except from phones, I don't walk around too much with the devices, so if we had 2 different networks for 2g/5g my problem should be gone, but I gave up on going through that route as all suggested ways that I saw didn't work for me.

What could I do to solve these issues?

thank in advance

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

What sort of devices are not connecting to WiFi at 5G?

Message 2 of 8
rdiniz1111
Aspirant

All do them connect to 5g but switch back to 2g very soon, in a couple minutes.

Ex: iPhone 11, MacBook, ps5, xiaomi stick
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

This is indeed strange.  As long as the Orbi is broadcasting both channels, the device determines which it will use.

There appear to be methods to force a MacBook to use only the 5G WiFi:

https://becomethesolution.com/blogs/mac/macos-how-to-force-connect-to-5ghz-or-2-4ghz-wifi-band-same-... 

and one that mentions iPhone:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/how-to-connect-to-only-2-4ghz-or-5ghz-wi-fi-band-prevent-switchi... 

Message 4 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi rdiniz1111, 

I understand that you are having issues with the Wi-Fi bands on your RBR20. Your RBR20 seems to be switching Wi-Fi bands to the slower 2Ghz band. Please make sure that the transmit power control strength for the 5Ghz band is at the optimal 100%. 

Please follow the steps below to adjust transmit power control settings: 

1. Navigate to orbilogin.net

2. Select the Advanced tab

3. Navigate to Advanced Setup

4. Select Wireless Settings

5. Navigate to "Transmit Power Control" under (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac)

Please let me know if this information was helpful!!
Look forward to hearing from you!!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 5 of 8
rdiniz1111
Aspirant

Hello, I double check this before and it was 100% still. I did change it to 25% a few weeks ago to be able to setup some iot stuff, but it was changed back to 100% for sure.

Since I couldn't solve the problem I did a unwanted factory reset today and it looks good so far. It's good to have full power again, but not great to know I may need to do that again and lose my configs.

Thanks all for help

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

No luck getting the devices to restrict themselves to 5G WiFi?

Message 7 of 8
rdiniz1111
Aspirant

No luck at all, those steps were interesting but didn't bring any result.

Again, at least today it worked like it was supposed to.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7