× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Differences in speed in 2 tests done directly after eachother

ChrisCox1952
Guide

Differences in speed in 2 tests done directly after eachother

I am getting strage results when testing internet connection. Testing first time shows download around 200, upload 50

second check directly after first one shows down 500 and up 50. ( second test is in line with ISP speed ). I am having this both woth desktop ( cable) and Apple devides ( Wifi)

Can somebody explain this to me please.

ISP : Ziggo

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi 'app' reports Speed Test results, the actual test is performed on the Orbi router and the results are passed to the app for display.  Thus, it does not matter how WiFi devices are connected to the system.

Ookla Speed Test (their app or their web site) performed on a device are reporting the speed to the actual device.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what router do you have?

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

4. what method of speedtesting are you using? (app, website, what device, what band are you connected to while testing, how close/far from the router are you)

5. the wired speed should be the most consistent. Do you get the variable speeds hardwired into the modem/gateway?

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The same thing happens to me when I test Spectrum cable internet. The "normal" speed test is just over 350Mbps, but every once in a while the reported speed is much lower.  Internet is a shared service.  When there is a LOT of load, performance will be less.

Message 3 of 11
ChrisCox1952
Guide

Thanks for reply, i understand your message. However if i talk about 2 speedtests i perform them seconds after eachother, therefore (i assume) load should be the same and is not the reason for difference in speed 

regards

Chris

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

If it's not network load, it's probably the NSA spying on your router and consuming vast resources.  (April 1 Joke)

The Orbi 'app' keeps a small record of Speed Test results.  Here's mine:

CrimpOn_0-1711996909582.png

I just ran Speed test again, got 171 and then seconds later got 372.  Most of the time, the results are in the 370 range.

I suppose a person could swap out the router for a different one and see if the phenomenon can be replicated.

If this happens constantly, then a call to the ISP might be in order.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

And a few more details (as asked prior) might help. Just saying something has different speeds doesn't tell us much.

but like @CrimpOn says, speeds can vary. My wireless devices will fluctuate from 300mbps to 1.4 gig that I get depending on time of day, whats going on, distance, interference, etc. 

Message 6 of 11
ChrisCox1952
Guide

Hi Guru

following to your questions

1. Router RBK 53 with 2 stations connected to it

2. Software 2.7.4.24

3. Modem Sagemcom

4. i use speedtest available in Orbi app on my iphone 14 Pro or Ipad Pro 2020, i donot know to which band i am connected, distance to router station about 2 meters.

5. i get same result if i mease speed on my pc which is cabled, Windows 11

regards

Chris

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

When the Orbi 'app' reports Speed Test results, the actual test is performed on the Orbi router and the results are passed to the app for display.  Thus, it does not matter how WiFi devices are connected to the system.

Ookla Speed Test (their app or their web site) performed on a device are reporting the speed to the actual device.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

@ChrisCox1952 wrote:

Hi Guru

following to your questions

1. Router RBK 53 with 2 stations connected to it---Thanks!

2. Software 2.7.4.24------There's a newer 2.7.5.4.  doubt it'll make any speed difference but always an option. 

3. Modem Sagemcom---Most of the Sagemcom's I know of are modem/router combo device. It causes a double nat and the sagemcom might have its own qos built in. Do you have it in passthrough mode? If so, try putting the sagemcom back in router mode (disable its wifi) and the orbi in access point mode. 

4. i use speedtest available in Orbi app on my iphone 14 Pro or Ipad Pro 2020, i donot know to which band i am connected, distance to router station about 2 meters.----That'd be hosted on the router. Not on the device you're testing with. Try the actual speedtest app. 

5. i get same result if i mease speed on my pc which is cabled, Windows 11---if you're using the orbi app, thats why the testing is the same. 

regards

Chris

Message 9 of 11
ChrisCox1952
Guide

Thanks to both of you for explanation and advice, topic is becoming much clearer for me now, 

I have installed ookla app on devices and results i measure are oke for me.

Thanks again and best regards

Chris

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad we helped a little!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos