Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Orbi Support routing out NAT interface networks forwarded from down stream routers?

Muze2469
Aspirant

Does Orbi Support routing out NAT interface networks forwarded from down stream routers?

I have a funtional

Hardware Version RBR40
  Firmware Version V2.3.5.32

It's setup in router mode (NAT) with an internal LAN 192.168.111.0/24

I have (want) a down stream router connecting a 2nd network 192.168.0.0/24.  I have the static routing working on both ends PC in the respective network can ping each other via there default route.  PC's in the Orbi LAN have no problem accessing the internet connected to the other side of the Orbi.  PCs in the 2nd network 192.168.0.0 naturally tracert to the Orbi but the Orbi doesn't seem to route the traffic out the NAT.  I've attached a network diagram that details all the IPs & static routes.  I have another txt document showing all the pings & trace routes tests I've tried.  Any help on this being something the orbi can support?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Muze2469
Aspirant

Re: Does Orbi Support routing out NAT interface networks forwarded from down stream routers?

Network tests

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Does Orbi Support routing out NAT interface networks forwarded from down stream routers?

What a fascinating setup.  The static route example in the Orbi User Manual, beginning on page 74 appears to assume that packets coming from the "other side" are intended only for the Orbi LAN subnet.  (There being no reason why anyone at the other end would want to access the Orbi to reach the internet.)  There could be a filter inside the Orbi blocking packets for any other subnet.  One way to test that hypothesis would be to capture the LAN traffic on the Orbi (from the debug screen) and look for packets coming from 192.168.111.2 to anywhere besides 192.168.111.x.  No packets means "blocked".

It's a bit of a puzzle to me why the Sophos is not the primary ISP interface, with the Orbi behind it.  Perhaps even in AP mode.  If the goal is to protect critical resources behind the Sophos from the Orbi LAN as well as the internet, could the same thing be accomplished using multiple ports on the Sophos?

This might be a good question to pose on a Sophos forum as well.

Message 3 of 5
Muze2469
Aspirant

Thanks for the hypothesis thought.  So looking at the lan.pcap with a ip.src==192.168.111.2 I see a ton of packets with public destinations address.  Essentially my lab environment screaming to get out.  So does that mean it’s not getting blacked? 

Great question; why.  Before I started experimenting w/ Sophos I had a pfSence router as my 1 any only router managing all my networks and masquerading at the edge.  Due to my desire to play with tech toys I recently caused a site wide outage resulting  in excessive banging on my home office door by a bunch of kids who couldn’t get to their game servers & a wife who’s favorite video streaming service discontinue to function.  This setup you so gracefully commented on is my idea to hang my entire lab off the house backbone LAN.  Lab including a router bgp’ing into a NSX-T infrastructure.  My real experimental goal.

The results of your capture suggestion has me scratching my head a bit.  When I look on the wan.pcap w/ a filter ip.dst==8.8.8.8 (google DNS server) all I see is DNS queries not any ICMP traffic which is what my test case should be generating….

Maybe my idea is pushing Orbi’s original design.  I just figured it was a fairly simple ask. 

Message 4 of 5
Muze2469
Aspirant

The only solution I could come up with was to remove the Orbi as the router & promote my sophos router. Sophos has no problem routing traffic between all my network and managing internet communication (NAT masquerading). I opened a case with netgear support. Absolutely no help. I don't think I ever got past a bot. Disappointed on the netgear support front.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7