Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory reset doesnt work

rahuldba
Aspirant

Factory reset doesnt work

I forgot secret question to reset my password.
Even after pressing the reset button for 10 seconds it doesnt work.
Please help
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: Factory reset doesnt work

@CrimpOn wrote:

In a few seconds, the power LED should turn amber.  That indicates a "reset", but not a "factory reset". 

That's a new one on me. Maybe there is this two-stage process on the RBR40.

In general, the pattern is that you insert something into the reset hole "for at least seven seconds", it says in the manuals. Most people go for 10 seconds. Anything less than that will do nothing to the router.

There is, though, a more severe undocumented "recovery reset" procedure:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Which model Orbi is it?

Sometimes I have to hold the paperclip in the reset hole for a bit longer as I watch the power LED turn to solid amber and then finally begin to flash.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try pressing the reset button for 15 seconds. 10 is too short. When you see a slow pulsating WHITE led on top, this means the router is ready. Log in to 192.168.1.1 with a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. Please write down all important information for safe keeping. 

@rahuldba wrote:
I forgot secret question to reset my password.
Even after pressing the reset button for 10 seconds it doesnt work.
Please help

Message 3 of 9
rahuldba
Aspirant

Ok.
After reset, the wifi name i have setup now should go away ?
It should connect to default wifi name given on router ?
That was not happening.
Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@rahuldba wrote:
Ok.
After reset, the wifi name i have setup now should go away ?

This is correct.  Once the power LED above the reset hole on the router begins to flash, the firmware is "reset to factory."  It no longer remembers anything that was changed from the factory defaults.  The WiFi name (SSID) and password will match what is printed on the label.  The administrative login will be "admin" and "password."

If a device is looking for WiFi and does not see the default SSID, then the Orbi router has not been factory reset.

Message 5 of 9
rahuldba
Aspirant

thank you.

I did press that reset button process 2 times - but still it kept the same SSID ( wifi name).
Can you please let me know exactly when i should release the reset button ( RBR40) ?

Thanks once again !
Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

After looking at the picture of the RBR40, I realize my explanation may have been misleading.  On the back there is a Power button with an LED above it.  Next to the Power button is the jack for the power supply, and next to the jack is a tiny hole labelled "Reset".  Normally, the LED above the power button is green.  To reset the router, unbend a paperclip and stick the end into that tiny hole and hold it there.  In a few seconds, the power LED should turn amber.  That indicates a "reset", but not a "factory reset".  In a few more seconds, the amber LED will begin to flash, which indicates the "factory reset".

If this is not what happens, then the RBR40 is not working correctly.  I have no explanation for what could cause this situation.  When the paperclip goes in, there is a distinct feeling of something "clicking" (but very faintly.  It is a "microswitch" and very small.)  I have thought (sometimes) that the switch is not directly behind the tiny hole and the paperclip doesn't press on it.

If the paperclip routine does not result in a flashing amber LED, you are f****d.

Message 7 of 9

@CrimpOn wrote:

In a few seconds, the power LED should turn amber.  That indicates a "reset", but not a "factory reset". 

That's a new one on me. Maybe there is this two-stage process on the RBR40.

In general, the pattern is that you insert something into the reset hole "for at least seven seconds", it says in the manuals. Most people go for 10 seconds. Anything less than that will do nothing to the router.

There is, though, a more severe undocumented "recovery reset" procedure:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Message 8 of 9
rahuldba
Aspirant

Thank you so much.
It worked when pressed the button for almost 30 secs.

Thanks a ton.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7