Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V.2.5.2.4 Changes SSID Name for SSID Name set for 5G Band

Freway01
Aspirant

Firmware V.2.5.2.4 Changes SSID Name for SSID Name set for 5G Band

Previously set the default SSID in my RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite to "xxxx xxx 2.4" on the 'Wireless Setting' page of the RBR50, and Telnetted into the router and changed the SSID name of the of the 5gig band to "xxx xxx 5" using the 'config set wla_ssid="xxxx.xxx.5" command followed by a 'config commit' command and a reboot of the router. Same thing was done for the RBS50 satellite. Everything was working fine.

Over the weekend I upgraded the firmware to V.2.5.2.4 on both the router and satellite. The firmware upgrade didn't retain the 5gig SSID name I previously assigned to it, and only kept only the first four (4) characters of the 2.4gig SSID. I've Telnetted into both the router and satellite and set the 2.4gig SSID and the 5gig SSID using the config set wl_ssid="xxxx xxx 2.4" & config set wla_ssid="xxxx xxx 5" commands followed by a 'config commit'. The router and satellite will broadcast the 'xxxx xxx 5' SSID for a few minutes, but then revert to SSID 'xxxx'

This is causing problems with the IoT devices on my network. What do I need to do to create a separate SSID for my 5gig devices with this version of the firmware?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Freway01 wrote:

This is causing problems with the IoT devices on my network. What do I need to do to create a separate SSID for my 5gig devices with this version of the firmware?

Manually revert back to the previous firmware and resist the temptation to install new firmware.  Or, painstakingly read through all of the posts about "splitting SSID" until you find a method that works and hope that  new firmware does not make it stop working (as happened to you).

Many of us who participate in this forum have houses full of IoT gizmos that are perfectly happy with the Orbi WiFi once they get set up. Having only a 2.4G radio, these things cannot detect the 5G signal (just as they cannot detect AM radio signals or 900MHz cordless phone signals).  I fear this is another example of the extreme polarization of our society.  Some of us believe it is not that hard to get these things connected and others of us sincerely, passionately, believe that the only solution is to have different SSID's.

In my case, a few devices have poorly written smartphone apps that fail when the smarphone is connected at 5G, but work just fine when the smartphone is temporarily connected at 2.4G.  This method seems to work:

• Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password (not the WiFi password)
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel"
    This will not affect any devices which are currently attached to the Orbi at 5G.
  • On the smartphone settings, "forget" the Orbi WiFi
  • Search for WiFi networks and select the Orbi WiFi
  • Enter the WiF password and connect
  • At this point, open the IoT app and go through the steps
  • After the device is connected, reverse the steps
    Check the box "Broadcast SSID"
    "Forget Orbi WiFi"
    Search for and connect.

In your situation, the fastest method would seem to be "going back" to the previous firmware, splitting the SSID's, and never updatin g firmware.  No devices have to be reconfigured, and you can get on with life.

Message 2 of 7
Freway01
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn, but I want to stay on this version of the firmware. It does a better job if identifying the devices connected to the Orbi then the last version I was up on. For the time being, until Netgear fixes the problem with SSID naming (this happened a couple of versions back also), I'll just reconfigure the IoT devices (about 10 devices) that were using the 5gig band (SSID) and sign into the default name the RBR50 gave as a 5gig SSID. The Orbi assigned SSID isn’t that descriptive, but will do until Netgear fixes their screw-up.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Freway01 wrote:

Thanks CrimpOn, but I want to stay on this version of the firmware. It does a better job if identifying the devices connected to the Orbi then the last version I was up on. For the time being, until Netgear fixes the problem with SSID naming (this happened a couple of versions back also), I'll just reconfigure the IoT devices (about 10 devices) that were using the 5gig band (SSID) and sign into the default name the RBR50 gave as a 5gig SSID. The Orbi assigned SSID isn’t that descriptive, but will do until Netgear fixes their screw-up.

The user can specify any SSID in the both the web interface and the Orbi "app", and it will be broadcast by both 2.4G and 5G channels.

It's too late for you, but my practice for the last 15 years has been to give each new WiFi router the exact SSID/password as the one that is being replaced. (a) every WiFi device connects automatically without having to be reconfigured, and (b) if I decide to "go back", I can just plug the old WiFi router back in and every device will automatically connect to it. (My guess is the firware feature that messed with your SSID's stopped at the first space character.)

Message 4 of 7
Freway01
Aspirant

I do the same thing, I assign an SSID to each of the bands and always use 'xxxx xxx 2.4' for the 2.4gig band and 'xxxx xxx 5' for the 5gig band. Always the same passwords. I also always set up a guest network called 'xxxx xxx xxx xxx' with its own password (reuse same guest password).

Like I said earlier, I try to keep the 5gig IoT devices off of the 2.4gig band and by only allowing them on the 5gig band, I avoid having laptops, smartphones, & tablets attaching to the 2.4gig band where most of the IoT devices reside.

Because of the number of IoT electrical outlets and switches in my house along with the Amazon Echo's we have that are used to control the IoT devices, I may wait until after the holidays then take a backup of all of my settings (assigned static IP's), then do a factory reset of the Orbi, install the latest firmware, get the SSID naming the way I want it, then reload the settings.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Freway01 wrote:

Because of the number of IoT electrical outlets and switches in my house along with the Amazon Echo's we have that are used to control the IoT devices, I may wait until after the holidays then take a backup of all of my settings (assigned static IP's), then do a factory reset of the Orbi, install the latest firmware, get the SSID naming the way I want it, then reload the settings.

This, I think, is the "crux" of the matter.  If the hack is no longer working on the firmware that is currently loaded, there is little chance that it will work on even newer firmware. Netgear has never given any sort of official blessing or support to having "split SSID's" on the Orbi product line.  (I may be mistaken, but I have the impression that the newer AX products no longer allow telnet access at all.)  This issue has been very frustrating for people who comitted to the "split" early on and now want it to continue.  I am just glad that I never went that way and the topic is of academic, but not personal interest.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@CrimpOn is correct. NG doesn't officially santion separation of SSID names what so ever. So if a FW update was performed, then this wiped out your modification. You will have to see if the mod still works or not on newer FW. I've seen some say its not working well. So either revert back to the FW version that was working or move foward and give the signal SSID system a try. It does work. Most of the problems are with the bad sofware development from these IoT Mfrs that for some reason don't realized that 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals connect to the same side of the network. Why these Mfr don't allow any setup device and there software to work on either frequency is beyond me and just bad development in there software.

And yes Orbi AX doesn't support Telnet however there is a back door. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7