× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I am having a problem with the RBS50y

computersteve
Apprentice

I am having a problem with the RBS50y

I keep loosing connection when my device roams to the outdoor Orbi. Is anyone else having this problem. Thanks.
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
IS the RBSY connected to a Orbi system or a different wifi router system? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 8
computersteve
Apprentice

It's firmware V1.0.0.52. It's connected to an Orbi RBR50. I have it in extender mode & not orbi mode. I did this because if I ever leave the orbi echosystem I just disconnect the orbi RBR & switch to the new router configured as the same SSID as the RBR50. This will allow the RBS50Y to continue extending that SSID without reconfiguring. I have been noticing that even though everything says connected. When devices roam to the RBS50Y they sometimes dont get DHCP or they are connected but no Internet yet I can access the Mywifiext.local page. Everything indicates the RBS50Y its always successfully connected with signal or 192Mbps on the 2.4ghz & signal of 585Mbps on the 5ghz. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is on the ORbi system? 

You might change the RBSY to Orbi mode to see if the same problem happens. 

Message 4 of 8
computersteve
Apprentice

I understand that this might fix the problem.. However the point of the RBS50Y is it can be setup in extender mode. I didn't notice that problem when it was in "orbi" mode though. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Then there could be a problem when in Extender mode then. 

Something to ask NG support about for more help. Maybe some odd problems with current version of FW and Orbi FW. 

Message 6 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@computersteve wrote:

I understand that this might fix the problem.. However the point of the RBS50Y is it can be setup in extender mode. I didn't notice that problem when it was in "orbi" mode though. 

The RBS50Y is going to act differently regarding seemless handoffs. I would keep it in Orbi mode if it is not a problem.

Message 7 of 8
Midway
Aspirant

I have identical problem, but in orbi mode. I have rbk53 (one rbr50 and two Rbs50) both roughly 30-40ft from the router (daisy chaining is off) all stable and well. Fw 2.5.2.4 an all three devices. Problem described by ts has occurred with previous fw versions as well (always eagerly updating to see if the next fw will eliminate this problem). RBS50y has been on 2.5.2.32 for a long time with the problem. Last week I upgraded to 2.5.3.110 because I thought I might be suffering from the described dns issue. Unfortunately no luck, problems persists. Btw. I am aware that 2.5.3.110 is not intended for rbs50y(v1) in non pro config, but from sheer despair about the same problem from ts I tried (nothing to loose as it is unreliable anyway). On 2.5.3.110 it works just as well/bad as on 2.5.2.32, no difference. I am on the verge of throwing out orbi system. App sucks and information displayed often not accurate/real time and the instability issues are in there for too long. Pity as power/range/speed are superb. Jfyi: rbs50y 35 ft from rbr50, fast roaming is off, tried all variables from other topics (reduce 2.4g power, disable fast roaming, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only disable daisy chain etc)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7