Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is firmware 2.5.2.4 an issues for the RBR50 and RBS50 satellites? Download speed is < 200MB

jeromefong
Aspirant

Is firmware 2.5.2.4 an issues for the RBR50 and RBS50 satellites? Download speed is < 200MB

I have an Orbi RBR50v1 with 2 RBS50v1 satellites.  Performance was fine (getting about 400  mbps download speeds), until I upgraded from firmware version 2.5.1.32 to version 2.5.2.4.  Now, I'm barely getting down load speeds of 200 mbps.  I also upgrade to xfinity 1 GB network so I'm really surprised my download speeds are now slower.  I power off all three devices and re-powered them back one by one.  They all reconnected correctly, but it the down speeds are still the same.   When I run the Orbi app's speed test, it says it is getting 800+ mbps download speeds.  Any suggestions on what I should try next?  Is it possible to downgrade the firmware?  

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is firmware 2.5.2.4 an issues for the RBR50 and RBS50 satellites? Download speed is < 200MB

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Speed testing with a wired connection first? 

What wireless devices are you using? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Is firmware 2.5.2.4 an issues for the RBR50 and RBS50 satellites? Download speed is < 200MB

A few questions to try to help:

1) When you installed the firmware update to 2.5.2.4 did you install it on the satellites first, then the router? 

2) Did you power cycle your modem after you upgraded the router firmware?

3) Have you tried a speed test without using the ORBI built-in test, e.g., Speedtest.net, both wired and wireless?

It is possible to downgrade the firmware. A factory reset is necessary. You might want to try a factory reset on all of your satellites and router BEFORE you try to downgrade. After the factory reset, rebuild your system from scratch. DO NOT use a backup configuration file! It could re-introduce corrupted code into your system.

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@jeromefong wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR50v1 with 2 RBS50v1 satellites.  Performance was fine (getting about 400  mbps download speeds), until I upgraded from firmware version 2.5.1.32 to version 2.5.2.4.  Now, I'm barely getting down load speeds of 200 mbps.  I also upgrade to xfinity 1 GB network so I'm really surprised my download speeds are now slower.  I power off all three devices and re-powered them back one by one.  They all reconnected correctly, but it the down speeds are still the same.   When I run the Orbi app's speed test, it says it is getting 800+ mbps download speeds.  Any suggestions on what I should try next?  Is it possible to downgrade the firmware?  

I have seen where updating the firmware to a newer version sometimes reverts settings back to default settings.

I've updated several RBR50 and RBS50 units to 2.7.0.70 with no issues. I did find, in a few cases, where I had to reconfigure some settings to get better performance.

Check these settings:

Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode.

I turn off all logs except port forwarding/ port triggering <- this is a preference but logging can cause overheaed

Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@jeromefong wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7