Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN dropping Connection to a TV in Mirror Cast periodically

awabel
Aspirant

LAN dropping Connection to a TV in Mirror Cast periodically

I am having issues when mirror casting from my Lenovo X1 Carbon to a 2 year old Samsung Smart TV.  I am able to ge the connection initially and then at some random amount of time the connection will drop and I have to reconnect.  The time could be 5 minutes to 30 minutes.  This only affects the mirror casting and not the internet connection.  I can watch TV on this TV forever without a loss of signal from the router.
Also, Orbi does not list the TV on the list of connected devices at any time.  It never shows up.

Help - this is a pain when I am mirror casting from my Lenovo X1 laptop to this TV for business uses.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: LAN dropping Connection to a TV in Mirror Cast periodically

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Contact the mfr of this Mirror Casting to see if there is any known information regarding problems with this TV or Lenovo laptop.

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@awabel wrote:

I am having issues when mirror casting from my Lenovo X1 Carbon to a 2 year old Samsung Smart TV.

There appear to be several methods of mirroring a laptop screen to a tv.  Could you describe which of these methods is being used:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/faqs/laptop-faqs/connect-laptop-to-tv/ 

Message 3 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

The firmware version is 2.2.2.104.

The router, Laptop, and the TV are in the same room and on the same LAN.

I'll try your solution options.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Contact the mfr of this Mirror Casting to see if there is any known information regarding problems with this TV or Lenovo laptop.

Message 4 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

I'm using the screen casting tool built into Windows 10.

@CrimpOn wrote:

@awabel wrote:

I am having issues when mirror casting from my Lenovo X1 Carbon to a 2 year old Samsung Smart TV.

There appear to be several methods of mirroring a laptop screen to a tv.  Could you describe which of these methods is being used:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/faqs/laptop-faqs/connect-laptop-to-tv/ 

Message 5 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

WMM was already enabled.

I have now enabled Beamforming and MIMO.

IPv6 and Daisy Chain, Armor, Circle, and Fast Roaming were not enabled.

Message 6 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

None of those changes solved the problem.

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@awabel wrote:

I'm using the screen casting tool built into Windows 10.

The reason I asked is that Lenovo article says this about the screen casting capability built into Windows 10::

The beauty of technologies such as Miracast is that they don't rely on your home/office wireless network. Instead, signals are transmitted via Wi-Fi Direct, which has a shorter signal range but enables device-to-device streaming without a central router.

This would seem to indicate that the issue has nothing to do with the home WiFi network (Orbi).

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The Lenovo X1 Carbon has an HDMI port, which would appear to indicate that it could be connected directly to the tv.

Message 9 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

Of course, it can be directly connected but I already have a monitor connected.  This additional TV is for presentation to my clients.

Message 10 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

I just talked to Lenovo and they said my best bet is to connect via the hdmi cable or by Blue Tooth.  

Message 11 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@awabel wrote:

I just talked to Lenovo and they said my best bet is to connect via the hdmi cable or by Blue Tooth.  

With the HDMI port already in use, it is obviously not available for streaming to the tv.  So.....

The next option in that article is to use Chromecast.  A gen 3 Chromecast is $30 on Amazon. That definitely uses the home WiFi network, rather than Miracast.

I'd like to know what they meant by using Bluetooth to stream Windows 10 to a tv.

Message 12 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

Bluetooth is what they recommended but I didn't see any way to do that.

I'll try the Chromecast.

Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@awabel wrote:

Bluetooth is what they recommended but I didn't see any way to do that.

Internet search for Bluetooth screen mirroring turns up, "NOT POSSIBLE"  There is no polite way to describe the tech support from Lenovo.

I have often had success with technical support by trying again and hoping to get a more knowledgeable agent.  Had a problem with Spectrum Cable TV where they rolled a technician who spent hours completely rewiring my coax and replacing part after part.  Before giving up, I made one more call and got a nice woman who said, "Oh, your billing account is misconfigured.  Here. Try it again."  Done.

Maybe you can get someone who knows the product?

Message 14 of 15
awabel
Aspirant

Good point!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements