× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LTE MODEM/ROUTER LBR20 external antenna connectors

Farjohn
Initiate

LTE MODEM/ROUTER LBR20 external antenna connectors

I've recently purchased an Orbi LBR20 LTE Modem/Router and am totally confused about the two external antenna connectors. About half of the references I've found talk about optimizing the unit's wifi performance by connecting 802.11 compatible antennas to these ports. The other half talk about improving the LTE signal by connecting external antennas to the same ports. The wifi and cellular bands and supporting radios are obviously different. Nowhere in Netgear's documentation have I found a word about how to configuer these ports. The referenve to enabling the MIMO function is ambiguous as this dual antenna configuration applies to both wifi and LTE. Can someone PLEASE enlighten me on how to configure the LBR20 for use with an external antenna for use on the cellular network?
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Those external antenna connectors seems to point to being LTE or cell phone signal antenna supporting:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/LBR20.pdf

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/LBR20/Orbi_LBR20_QSG_EN.pdf

So you'll need to do a search or maybe ask your cell service provider about information regarding external antennas that can be connected if the LBR is not picking up cell signals good enough using it's internal antennas. 

Do a web search for SMA LTE External Antenna for products available on line. 

Message 2 of 6
suesgirl
Aspirant

I have been having some issues with disconnection lately and read somewhere that I needed an SMA antenna so I got on good old amazon and ordered these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CTHGGQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hooked both of them up and they made my signal worse.  I didn't notice a major difference with one antenna in either port but I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it and actually check speeds for a few days thats on my list for today i'm going to try and keep track.  I'm not sure what this MIMO stuff means or SMA, so I guess I'll just keep experimenting.

Message 3 of 6
suesgirl
Aspirant

UPDATE

I speed tested with both antennas in, one in, and none and got the best speeds with NONE.  36mbps upload and 3 download without any antennas (usually fastest in the morning, speeds will slow down as the day goes on).  My upload speeds on port 1 with the antenna were 10dl and 3 ul.  My unit wouldn't even work with something screwed into the second port- so don't waste your money on anything like these.  Find something with MIMO and make sure you can return it- I think that's what i'm going to do.  

Message 4 of 6
Farjohn
Initiate

Suesgirl, thank you for the reply. I've purchased something similar to your two discrete antennas, but it's in the form of an integrated pair (kind of like the old TV "rabbit ears") at the end of a cable with two connectors that plug into the SME ports on the ORBI. I've seen a small difference in signal strength, maybe 4dB. Two things you should be aware of; 1) In order for the ORBI's MIMO function to work, you need both antennas to be plugged in and 2) the antennas need to be cross polarized, that is, at right angles to each other, for best MIMO performance. Also, the plane of the "V" thus formed should be perpendicular to the  line between the MINO antenna and the cell tower you're connected to. Since you don't know where that may be (unless you have a mobile app like "Network Cell Info" installed on a device like your smart phone) you'll need to play with direction and location of the antenna. With MIMO, it's not always all about raw signal strength. From the down and up speeds you're getting I'd guess you live in a fairly decent signal area. Here's a link to a useful You Tube video explaining some of this:  MIMO vs Boosters: Do Cellular Boosters Provide the Best Signal & Data Performance? - YouTube 

Message 5 of 6
suesgirl
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements