× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for second satellite for 2nd floor - CBR40 and RBS20

rjdollar
Aspirant

Looking for second satellite for 2nd floor - CBR40 and RBS20

I currently have a CBR 40 with a RBS 20 satellite. That gives us coverage on the first floor of our home. We have weak coverage at times on the second story. The difficulty is the house is built of solid concrete with reinforced rebar, not block, and I think that’s why the second satellite isn’t reaching upstairs fully. Can you recommend a good second satellite for our second floor? Or should I just go with the same model that we already have?
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
alokeprasad
Mentor

With that type of construction, it will be difficult to get a good wireless backhaul connection to any satellite on the 2nd floor.

Consider running an ethernet wire to the 2nd floor and use that to connect to a RBS satellite on the 2nd floor.

You could also use 2 Powerline devices to get a network outlet on the 2nd floor and connect the RBS satellite to it with an ethernet cable. The speed of the Powerline connection depends on the layout of the pwer supply wiring and circuit breakers.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to visit the Orbi with cable modem forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. For Concete materials, you need to place RBS much closer or get into some Power Line adapters as suggested to put in another RBS. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

@rjdollar wrote:
I currently have a CBR 40 with a RBS 20 satellite. That gives us coverage on the first floor of our home. We have weak coverage at times on the second story. The difficulty is the house is built of solid concrete with reinforced rebar, not block, and I think that’s why the second satellite isn’t reaching upstairs fully. Can you recommend a good second satellite for our second floor? Or should I just go with the same model that we already have?

Message 3 of 5
rjdollar
Aspirant

Home is 2800 sq ft. Router is on first floor. Satellite 1 is also on first floor at opposite end of the house - over 30ft away. WiFi on second floor can be spotty. Especially for gaming and streaming via Roku.

What do you mean by “ get into some Power Line adapters as suggested to put in another RBS.”?
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Was thinking a PL to the current RBS. 

I would move the RBS closer to see if it can fill in some of the areas in question. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series