Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Measured speed on RBS23 setup

Smouritsen
Aspirant

Measured speed on RBS23 setup

Hi

My setup is Cable 1000/100 to FAST3890V3 modem/router ->Cat6 cable->RBR20 (basement)->wireless (daisychain)->RBS20 AP mode (gnd floor)->RBS20 (2nd floor). All units updated to FW 2.6.2.104

With wired Macbook to RBR20 I measure approx 750Mbps, on first RBS20 I measure approx 425Mbps and on 2nd floor RBS20 I measure approx 145Mbps.

On the webpage of RBR20 I see good 5GHz backhaul connection on both satellites. Is the measured speed drop normal - seeing roughly half at each RBS in the daisy link?

Would I gain anythink by changing modem to bridge and RBR20 to router mode? Would not think that would change the speed...

I am actually very happy with the performance - just had the impression that if RBR-RBS could uphold good 5GHz backhaul, then speed should be up to 866Mbps?

Thank you for any clarification.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@Smouritsen wrote:

With wired Macbook to RBR20 I measure approx 750Mbps, on first RBS20 I measure approx 425Mbps and on 2nd floor RBS20 I measure approx 145Mbps.

On the webpage of RBR20 I see good 5GHz backhaul connection on both satellites. Is the measured speed drop normal - seeing roughly half at each RBS in the daisy link?

Daisy chain will reduce overall throughput because each packet has to be sent twice, once to satellite 1 and again to satellite 2. The response, "I got it, send another one" has to go through two hops on the way back. Changing the Orbi from AP to router mode would make little difference.

As an 'aside', it is the RBR20 that is in AP mode, not the RBS20.  "mode" has no meaning to satellites. they are always access points only.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Smouritsen wrote:

Daisy chain will reduce overall throughput because each packet has to be sent twice, once to satellite 1 and again to satellite 2. The response, "I got it, send another one" has to go through two hops on the way back. Changing the Orbi from AP to router mode would make little difference.

As an 'aside', it is the RBR20 that is in AP mode, not the RBS20.  "mode" has no meaning to satellites. they are always access points only.

Message 2 of 3
Smouritsen
Aspirant

Ok, thanks. I have to accept the fact that daisy chaining will resuced throughput to sattelletite no 2. Was hoping that satellite no 1 would get the full 866 Mbps "available" in the dedicated  5 GHz backhaul channel..... But even though it is showing "Good" signal, the walls/floor layers will apparently have an impact.

And yes, that was a "typo error", I am aware that it 8s the RBR20 that is in AP mode, just couldn't find edit function 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7