Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrate from Nighthawk to OrbiAX4200

Dan_7
Aspirant

Migrate from Nighthawk to OrbiAX4200

Just bought an Orbi AX4200 to replace my nighthawk, coming in Thursday. Can I migrate all my devices from my nighthawk to the Orbi or do I have to go to each device and connect it to the Orbi? If there isn't a way, if I configure my Orbi with the same ID and password for wifi connections, will all my devices connect to the Orbi? (nighthawk will be off) thank in advance.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
apk_grand
Aspirant

There is always a Certainty when Migration from 1 device to other. There is a chance of data lose. Try to take backup before migrating the Device.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you use same SSID name and PW on Orbi. All your devices should connect with out any user intervention. 

One process I do when I put a new router online. Leave the out going router online. You can disconnect the modem/ONT cable from this out going router and connect it to the new one. Setup the new router and get it running with same SSID name and PW. Onces it's setup and running, just turn OFF the out going router. Your devices should all migrate to the new wifi router. 

@Dan_7 wrote:

Just bought an Orbi AX4200 to replace my nighthawk, coming in Thursday. Can I migrate all my devices from my nighthawk to the Orbi or do I have to go to each device and connect it to the Orbi? If there isn't a way, if I configure my Orbi with the same ID and password for wifi connections, will all my devices connect to the Orbi? (nighthawk will be off) thank in advance.

Message 4 of 6
Dan_7
Aspirant

I figured setting up the same SSID would work, just wasn't sure since both are Netgear if there was a migration tool. would be nice to have for those of us that have certain settings setup. Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No, just set up using same SSID name and PW is all you need. No Migration tool needed. 

Follow the process suggested and it should work fine. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7