Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mixed Lan with orbi AC3000

pierre22
Aspirant

Re: Mixed Lan with orbi AC3000

the modem also manages the voice part as a VoIP phone is connected which I could not then connect to the Orbi.
Message 76 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Is the following product good?
NETGEAR 8-port Smart Ethernet Switch GS308T, https://www.netgear.com/it/business/wired/switches/smart/gs308t/

Message 77 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

A non managed switch for use with Orbi 50 series is recommended if your going to ethernet connect the RBS to the RBR: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/gs308v3

If your going to use the 960 series and what the RBS ethernet connected using 2.5Gb LAN ports, you'll need one of these: XS505M and GS110MX work great with the 9 series.

Message 78 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Is an unmanaged switch better to connect to the orbi rbk50?

Message 79 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 80 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Why?

Message 81 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

Manages switches are not needed unless your doing some high end networking configurations. 

Manages switches have some features that can block ethernet connected RBS from fully syncing. 

Non managed switches are easy and keep connections and such simple. Less hassle when troubleshooting is needed.

Message 82 of 103

@pierre22 wrote:

Why?

Cost and simplicity.

Message 83 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Is cat 6 cable good for a 3-story LAN network?

Message 84 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

CAT6A STP for good connection rates if you jump to 2.5Gb or higher supported connections and devices. 

Message 85 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

The electrician installed cat.6 cables for me, but the cable that goes from the DVR to the modem is cat. 5e, it is about 20 meters from the modem, what do I do, change that too or not?

Message 86 of 103

@pierre22 wrote:

The electrician installed cat.6 cables for me, but the cable that goes from the DVR to the modem is cat. 5e, it is about 20 meters from the modem, what do I do, change that too or not?

Just try it. Constant refrains to buy a "go fast" cable don't seem to have any basis in real life. (Maybe they come from people who use gold cables in their hifi.)

For many applications, "slow" cables will work just fine. In this case, there will be limited traffic that does not need to run at a gazillion miles an hour.

You don't say what this DVR is, what LAN speed it expects to see, but these aren't usually the fastest devices around.

Message 87 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

I have to connect a TV and the DVR to a switch, which will be connected to the modem and to another switch I will connect three PCs and a printer as well as another TV, in this way can I create a high-performance LAN network?
Message 88 of 103

@pierre22 wrote:
I have to connect a TV and the DVR to a switch, which will be connected to the modem and to another switch I will connect three PCs and a printer as well as another TV, in this way can I create a high-performance LAN network?

It depends on what goes on the link to the DVR. Your description suggested that it was the only thing on that link.

TVs are often 100 Mbps on the LAN.

Why not just try it before you spend any more money on wiring that might not be needed?

Message 89 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

To the first switch I would like to add an external box for streaming football matches via fiber.

Message 90 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

What type of port is the one in the photo because I tried to insert a normal ethernet cable but it doesn't work.IMG_0680.jpg

Message 91 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

Ethernet net work with plug locking mechanism. You'll need to get with the mfr of this laptop for there help and support on it's use and configuration of it.

Message 92 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

I solved it by contacting support, they told me that by inserting the cable the door widens slightly towards the bottom.

Message 93 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 94 of 103

@pierre22 wrote:

What type of port is the one in the photo because I tried to insert a normal ethernet cable but it doesn't work.

What is that thing?

Message 95 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

good evening, the electrician wired my house with cat.6 cable, but I have a dvr connected with cat.5e cable, what do I do, have it changed or leave it since I would have to connect a switch to which I will connect both the dvr and the TV as per photo.
Message 96 of 103
CrimpOn
Guru

Leave it alone.  Cat5e will support a DVR.

Message 97 of 103
schumaku
Guru

All CAT5E, CAT6, CAT6A, CAT7, and CAT8 make use of standard RJ45 connectors. To save some height (or to provide a better impression of the notebook enclosure design), certain notebook brands have RJ45 ports which needs to be spread up before these will take the standard RJ45 patch cord. Look here on YouTube 8-)

Message 98 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

The network cable that comes from the modem, in this case cat5, must connect the DVR, a TV and in the future a box for streaming football matches and films via a switch.
Is this enough or do I have to replace it with cat6.

Message 99 of 103

@pierre22 wrote:

The network cable that comes from the modem, in this case cat5, must connect the DVR, a TV and in the future a box for streaming football matches and films via a switch.
Is this enough or do I have to replace it with cat6.

See above.

As @CrimpOn says Cat5e will support a DVR.

Also most smart TVs run at 100 Mbps LAN. No need for go-fast cables with crystals aligned to the phases of the Moon.

Try it and see.

Message 100 of 103
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 102 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7