Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Orbi RBK53 start getting very bad pings and slow speed

KKE55
Guide

My Orbi RBK53 start getting very bad pings and slow speed

Till yesterday my Orbi was working great (two months in a row), but for no reason I have started to get pings above 600ms (before 3ms) and internet speed 80% slower than before. This happens using WiFi and Ethernet, connected to the Router or to the Satellites.

If I connect directly a laptop to my ISP modem this doesn’t happen and I get an excellent performance (the one I used to have with the Orbi before).

If I restart the ISP router I get a better performance using the Orbis, but just for a couple of minutes.

I changed the port I connect the Orbi router to the ISP modem, but not yet the network (ethernet) wire. I'll try this tonight.

I didn’t change any settings, nor update the firmware (I am using the latest one).

The only change yesterday (the day that problems started) was an update in the Orbi iOs app , though I seriously doubt this has something to do) Just in case, tonight I'll try reboting everything and not connecting my iPhone (the one with the new app) to the orbi wifi. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
KKE55
Guide

Re: My Orbi RBK53 start getting very bad pings and slow speed

I contacted my ISP, they run some test and finally the problem was related to the cloud back up service that was draining all my bandwith (150 down 15 up). I hired Backblaze service the very same moment that the problem started. I reduced the bandwith that I allow the Backblaze to use, and everything went back normal.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Any wifi nieghbors near by? if so, how many?

What wireless device are you testing with? Try a different wireless device to speed test with?

Besure that all other devices and network streaming and traffic is disabled while testing pings and speed. Test with wired PC first.

Message 2 of 5
KKE55
Guide

I owed you the answer to the first part (not @ home now), but it is not a wifi issue. I have a MBP early 2013 connected through Ethernet to the Orbi Router with the same problem. 

Thanks!!!

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know the model # of the modem when you can.

Message 4 of 5
KKE55
Guide

I contacted my ISP, they run some test and finally the problem was related to the cloud back up service that was draining all my bandwith (150 down 15 up). I hired Backblaze service the very same moment that the problem started. I reduced the bandwith that I allow the Backblaze to use, and everything went back normal.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7