Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 / Open reach modem UK

LloydG
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBR50 / Open reach modem UK

Good morning.

Can anyone assist.

I'm currently using a BT Smart Hub 2 but it doesn't have modem mode. So I've purchased an openreach modem model ( B-Focus V-2fub/r Rev.B).
I've connected it to DSL , which it recognised and thought it would be a straight forward plug and play to the Orbi Internet / WAN port.
However the orbi is flashing purple and although showing as a network, is showing no IP address.
My technical knowledge is limited and it may be a simple fix. Any help would be appreciated.
I know that alternatively I could use the mesh in AP mode and turn off WiFi on my router and go that route, however I'd prefer this route first.
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 first...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 6
LloydG
Aspirant

Many thanks.
I've gone for AP mode.
Unfortunately my BT smart Hub 2 doesn't have modem or bridge mode functionality so I've disabled WiFi.
I'm not a power user so strictly speaking don't need router mode. However is router mode quicker than AP?
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

AP mode would have better performanced that router mode since the RBR doesn't have to process many features while in router mode. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@LloydG wrote:
Good morning.

Can anyone assist.

I'm currently using a BT Smart Hub 2 but it doesn't have modem mode. So I've purchased an openreach modem model ( B-Focus V-2fub/r Rev.B).
I've connected it to DSL , which it recognised and thought it would be a straight forward plug and play to the Orbi Internet / WAN port.
However the orbi is flashing purple and although showing as a network, is showing no IP address.

Could you clarify that the goal is to replace the BT Smart Hub2 with the Openreach modem (B-Focus V-2fub/r)?

I am not having a lot of luck find a user manual for that modem.

Message 5 of 6
LloydG
Aspirant

Yes ideally my initial goal was to replace the smart hub with the VDSL openreach modem.
I may still try a Netgear dm200 modem. But I've set up everything with the Orbi RBR50 in AP mode and deactivated WiFi on the smart hub. I've run speedtests on the Orbi router and each of the satellites via wired connections and I'm getting exactly the same speed as the Bt router so there's been no drop off in performance
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7