Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi whole home WiFi system

SRRS
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi whole home WiFi system

I just bought the orbi whole home
WiFi system - 1 x router, 1 x satellite but I can’t set it up because the Ethernet cable does not fit into my BT telephone/broadband socket. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

RJ45 LAN ports are all the same. Try a different LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. 

Which model Orbi system do you have? RBK##? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Something to keep in mind. 

Message 2 of 9
SRRS
Aspirant

my current router is a TP Link and plugs into a BT phone adapter which has a phone port and a small box like port and this plugs into the phone socket.  I dont think I have a modem?

Message 3 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Are you by any chance trying to insert the Ethernet RJ45 cable into the modem’s phone RJ11 which is smaller?
Your modem should have another socket for Ethernet cable, doesn’t it?
Message 4 of 9
SRRS
Aspirant

Yes I think I currently have the smaller RJ11? plugged from the TP Link router directly into the BT little box which plugs into the phone socket.

Message 5 of 9
SRRS
Aspirant

I dont think I have a modem?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have DSL ISP services? There should be a modem or all jack for ISP services. 

Phone jacks looks like RJ45 jacks but smaller. The ORbi system uses the larger RJ45 LAN jacks for ISP services and LAN connected devices. 

Ensure your ISP service/modem has a RJ45 port for use with the RBRs RJ45 jack. Contact your ISP for help and information on how to connect a router to there ISP service hardware/modem.

Message 7 of 9
SRRS
Aspirant

Thank you, I will do that

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Typo, meant to be RJ45 jacks. hehe. 

Hope it works out. Let us know. 

Message 9 of 9