Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware 2.3.5.30

OKinNJ
Aspirant

OK. Restarted RBR40. Got back access to the GUI/management interface. Tried to upload previous FW version, but same http 500 error.

So how do I engage next level of Netgear support? All I can find are some support contracts, and a one-time incident for $50.

Thanks for help so far!

Message 126 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you file a support ticket here? 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Might contact @Blanca_O to see if she can help here. 

Seems like the RBR is in a bad state. I'd ask about an RMA. 

@OKinNJ wrote:

OK. Restarted RBR40. Got back access to the GUI/management interface. Tried to upload previous FW version, but same http 500 error.

So how do I engage next level of Netgear support? All I can find are some support contracts, and a one-time incident for $50.

Thanks for help so far!

Message 127 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@OKinNJ wrote:

Thanks for help so far!

I would keep 2.3.5.30 and try to fix the management console issues.

When you had issues to access the web GUI, were you trying to login using orbilogin.com or by IP address (like 192.168.1.1)? Please try the IP address if you did not try it earlier.

Message 128 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@Christian_R wrote:

Good afternoon @ekhalil

Thanks for looping me in! I have asked my colleague @Blanca_O to look into this for further assistance. 

~Christian 

Thanks @Christian_R and @Blanca_O for following up on this.

Message 129 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

When I  could not login, I had tried both orbilogin.net (from the PC Network view/properties), and 192.168.1.1 directly in the PC browser (Edge, and later IE).

At that time, the Orbi iOS app also failed to login.

Currently, everything is just fine, PC and iOS Orbi app; we'll see how long it lasts. But same http 500 error if I try to upload FW. Note that I have restarted at least twice (latest earlier this afternoon). 

Time for dinner break!

Message 130 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

Regarding support ticket: my initial support interval has expired, so the only options I have are to pay for  something.

Could a support engineer telnet into my box and have a look around?

Thanks

BTW, since I re-set and restarted about 6 hours ago, the maintenance GUI is no longer available via PC browser., The Orbi app shows "online", but no devices connected (there are actually about 15).

Message 131 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@OKinNJ wrote:

BTW, since I re-set and restarted about 6 hours ago, the maintenance GUI is no longer available via PC browser., The Orbi app shows "online", but no devices connected (there are actually about 15).

I think we could help you to troubleshoot your system if you provide us more information about your setup. The issue can be caused by the new software, but can also be because of something wrong in your setup:

1. What type of ISP modem/router is Orbi connected to?
  2. Are you using wired or wireless backhaul?
  3. What type of other devices do you have attached to the network? Which of those devices are wired and which are wireless?
  4. Is Orbi in Router or AP mode?
Message 132 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen with a different PC by chance? 

Your Arris modem will not be a factor here. 

Please send a PM to @Blanca_O to see if she can be of any help as well...

Seems like the RBR is getting into a bad state for unknown reasons. Possible RBR is going bad.

@OKinNJ wrote:

Regarding support ticket: my initial support interval has expired, so the only options I have are to pay for  something.

Could a support engineer telnet into my box and have a look around?

Thanks

Message 133 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

So today the Orbi iOS app first shows no internet connectivity, which is wrong. Also, when I try again to check, it says "too many login attempts", and try again in 30 mins. I have only tried twice, well separated in time (about 30 mins!).

Tried another PC, and can't login to  orbilogin - just keeps asking for password.

As to the questions here:

Modem is Arris TM1602 (as stated, this should have no impact).

Using wireless backhaul; when I can login, the backhaul status is always "good".

Orbi router is in "router" mode.

Connected devices include:

1. One or more wired Windows PC's (two just now).
  2. A wired Asustor NAS box, running Linux. (These items are first attached to a Netgear Ethernet switch, for reasons of cable economy).
  3. Up to 3 iPads.
  4. couple of iPods.
  5. 2 HP printers on WiFi
  6. iPhone
  7.  ecobee "smart" thermostat
  8. Apple Airport Express
  9. Apple TV (previous version)

None of these should have any impact on the GUI/management interface. Never had any issues with connectivity of these gadgets.

FWIW: The router has been displaying the magenta light on top since yesterday, indicating no internet connectivity, which is also wrong (for now; it eventually does fail, requiring a re-boot).

I guess this is what you might called "soft hosed", as a reboot fixes things temporarily. Sigh.

Thanks

Message 134 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Seesm like the RBR is just not feeling well. I would contact NG support and ask about and RMA if thats possible.

@Blanca_O 

@OKinNJ wrote:

So today the Orbi iOS app first shows no internet connectivity, which is wrong. Also, when I try again to check, it says "too many login attempts", and try again in 30 mins. I have only tried twice, well separated in time (about 30 mins!).

Tried another PC, and can't login to  orbilogin - just keeps asking for password.

As to the questions here:

Modem is Arris TM1602 (as stated, this should have no impact).

Using wireless backhaul; when I can login, the backhaul status is always "good".

Orbi router is in "router" mode.

Connected devices include:

1. One or more wired Windows PC's (two just now).
  2. A wired Asustor NAS box, running Linux. (These items are first attached to a Netgear Ethernet switch, for reasons of cable economy).
  3. Up to 3 iPads.
  4. couple of iPods.
  5. 2 HP printers on WiFi
  6. iPhone
  7.  ecobee "smart" thermostat
  8. Apple Airport Express
  9. Apple TV (previous version)

None of these should have any impact on the GUI/management interface. Never had any issues with connectivity of these gadgets.

FWIW: The router has been displaying the magenta light on top since yesterday, indicating no internet connectivity, which is also wrong (for now; it eventually does fail, requiring a re-boot).

I guess this is what you might called "soft hosed", as a reboot fixes things temporarily. Sigh.

Thanks

Message 135 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@OKinNJ wrote:

1. Apple Airport Express

How is the Aiport Express connected to Orbi? Is it wired to Orbi? Have you disabled radio in AE and set it up in Bridge Mode?

@OKinNJ wrote:

........... The router has been displaying the magenta light on top since yesterday, indicating no internet connectivity, which is also wrong (for now; it eventually does fail, requiring a re-boot).

This can be another issue related to the ISP leasing time. Does just pulling the Ethernet cable from Orbi's WAN port and put it back fix this issue (makes the magenta LED go off)?

By the way, I suggest that you start a new discussion for this issue and keep this thread for the 2.3.5.30 specific software issues, what do you think? 🙂

Message 136 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

The AE is configured as a wireless client: "join a wireless network". It is used just as a wireless end point/client to play music from PC iTunes, or from some iOS music app. Never had any issues with that.

I tried pulling the WAN cable and re-inserted into the RBR, but no change to the magenta light.

As far as a new discussion for this - my issues started with 2.3.5.30. Also, I  am not sure that would do, as there doesn't seem to be anything more to be done, other than try a phone call with tech support. What would you recommend as next steps?

Thanks

Message 137 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@OKinNJ wrote:

The AE is configured as a wireless client: "join a wireless network". It is used just as a wireless end point/client to play music from PC iTunes, or from some iOS music app. Never had any issues with that.

Is the AE set in Bridged Mode in the Airport Tool settings (under Network)? You can't have AE in the Orbi network without bridging it otherwise it will act as a second DHCP server in your network.

Message 138 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

"The AE is configured as a wireless client: "join a wireless network". It is used just as a wireless end point/client to play music from PC iTunes, or from some iOS music app. Never had any issues with that." This is wireless bridge mode for AE. So the AE's DHCP server isn't running in this mode. 

@ekhalil wrote:

@OKinNJ wrote:

Is the AE set in Bridged Mode in the Airport Tool settings (under Network)? You can't have AE in the Orbi network without bridging it otherwise it will act as a second DHCP server in your network.

Message 139 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

Well, I've never had an issue with the AE in current mode. One of the other AE options is to "create a wireless network", and no doubt that would enable another DHCP host; I don't think I have that in the "join wireless network" mode - it seems just like my iPad, that "joins a wireless network" when it searches for WiFI networks, and then finds ORBI. There is also an "extend network" mode, which I assume is same as bridging, but I don't need or want that with ORBI - it has its own remote node, and so obviates the need for any other "extension".

But, then , I'm not a networking expert.

FYI, I Just shut down the AE, and things seem the same (not much of a test, I know).

Message 140 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

I think we have more or less exhausted this topic Smiley Frustrated .Can this issue be formally handed over to next level tech support? Or do I call the tech support number? I think I would need an issue number or something like that.

Thanks!

Message 141 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

File a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@OKinNJ wrote:

I think we have more or less exhausted this topic Smiley Frustrated .Can this issue be formally handed over to next level tech support? Or do I call the tech support number? I think I would need an issue number or something like that.

Thanks!

Message 142 of 235
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @OKinNJ

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 

Blanca 

Community Team

Message 143 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you @Blanca_O 

Message 144 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

According to the registration link given here, all my support options have expired; I registered my Orbi system back in April, 2017. So that link does not help me at this time, alas. What other options are there for support, other than buying a service agreement, which would seem inappropriate, given what seems like an issue with the FW on my RBR40.

Help.

Thanks!

Message 145 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Please respond to Blanca_Os PM send to you...

@OKinNJ wrote:

According to the registration link given here, all my support options have expired; I registered my Orbi system back in April, 2017. So that link does not help me at this time, alas. What other options are there for support, other than buying a service agreement, which would seem inappropriate, given what seems like an issue with the FW on my RBR40.

Help.

Thanks!

Message 146 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

couple more oddities:

Rebooted RBR40 last night. 

Via orbilogin.net, all devices were shown with "unknown" connection type. Never saw that before.

Via the Orbi iOS app, there were also some unknown connection types, along with 2.4 and 5 G. Never saw "unknown" there before, either.

Today, access is hosed, as usual after a few hours. But Internet fine, but with magenta light. Sigh.

Thanks

Message 147 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you responded to @Blanca_O 's PM? 

@OKinNJ wrote:

couple more oddities:

Rebooted RBR40 last night. 

Via orbilogin.net, all devices were shown with "unknown" connection type. Never saw that before.

Via the Orbi iOS app, there were also some unknown connection types, along with 2.4 and 5 G. Never saw "unknown" there before, either.

Today, access is hosed, as usual after a few hours. But Internet fine, but with magenta light. Sigh.

Thanks

Message 148 of 235
OKinNJ
Aspirant

Yes, responded to Blanca a couple days ago.

Thanks

Message 149 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep in contact with here there.

Good Luck. 

@OKinNJ wrote:

Yes, responded to Blanca a couple days ago.

Thanks

Message 150 of 235
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7