× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.5.4

Tulpy
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.5.4

I think my RBK53 was trying to auto update or something last night about 10pm. Router and SATs were in a loop of restart for at least an hour. I went to bed. Lol.

They did not update, so I successfully manually updated all this morning.

Couple minor glitches. All went well and restarted ok. What I don't understand is logging in via orbilogin.net or .com both.

When I did a config backup, it opened another tab on Chrome, had ads for Malwarebytes, but blocked evidently.

When I closed that tab and went back to orbinrouter page and backed up the config file, name is weird, 3 times. Instead of netgear-orbi.cfg or similar. It's backing up a long file name.

(Unconfirmed 36019.crdownload), the other two are the same just different numbers. The prior firmware backed it up as it should have.
Message 26 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

I would avoid using Chrome for any FW updates or config back ups. MS Edge, Firefox or Opera work best. 

After a FW update, recommend power cycling everything OFF for 1 minute then back ON:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network

Message 27 of 57
Tulpy
Aspirant

Mine were restarting, sometimes all, sometimes just a sat about once a month since purchase. Refurbed from Amazon. Hoping 2.7.5.4 fixed it. 

Message 28 of 57
shobuddy
Aspirant

What is the rationale behind NG releasing an update but not making it available on their auto update page until a later date? Its been two months already.  Almost seems like the initial manual update method is for testing purposes, which is horrible practice.

Message 29 of 57
CrimpOn
Guru

I have no idea why Netgear does what they do.  What I have observed over the past six years is that when Netgear posts a firmware update to the support web site, some hardy souls immediately download and install it.  Often they file good reports.  Occasionally, the forum soon fills with reports of problems.  On one occasion, the update was pulled. On another occasion, rather than post firmware, Netgear pushed an update to thousands of routers which locked out the Orbi app and blocked web access as well.  Incredible chaos.

I, personally, prefer to wait while other people discover whether the Quality Assurance program was 100% successful (or not).  When reports on the forum have been fine for a while, I either update manually or "wait them out" to see how long it will be before Netgear 'pushes' the update to everyone.

Given that the Quality Assurance program cannot possibly examine every possible combination of Internet Service Provider, WiFi environment, and home devices, letting some volunteers "go first" does not appear to be a "horrible practice" to me.

Message 30 of 57
shobuddy
Aspirant

I don't consider a user (novice or expert) who installs a final release software a "volunteer".  If the goal is to iron out bugs before releasing it to auto-update, industry standard would dictate you label it as beta and initiate an official beta testing program where users can then actually sign up to volunteer for testing.  Anything else is very misleading an amateurish.

Message 31 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

Over the history of Orbi, there as been MANY issues surrounding FW and Auto updates. Mostly causing problems over the night after users systems were updated when they had been working well. Been MANY complaints from users about this. Also been MANY requests to stop using Auto Update or allow users to disable this feature. NG finally only relented last year after a major fire storm happened on Orbi AX systems id they finally implement controls to disable AU. Made users happy here.

So NG has been pushing only major versions FW updates and leaving minor versions of FW updates to the user to manually install them if they wish too. NG seems to be relaxing there FW update pushes these days and letting users choose when they want to update. When NG does auto update they do so in small batches. Seems that after having such a bad long time use over the years, maybe NG has learning something. 

Yes NG internal testing processes are of concern. No idea what they have been doing all these years. Hoping there learning something. Been a slow process for sure. 

Message 32 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@Tulpy wrote:

Mine were restarting, sometimes all, sometimes just a sat about once a month since purchase. Refurbed from Amazon. Hoping 2.7.5.4 fixed it. 

Message 33 of 57
Raymond3764
Tutor

Hello,

Can anyone please help me out.

I just udated my Satellite and Router (RBS and RBR50) to the latest firmware.

Recently, without me doing anything my iPhone and iPad won't connect to the router. It says "no network", though it is connected.

After updating the firmware this is still the case.

When I connect to the Guest WiFI, it connects properly.

A few firmware updates ago no problems (I forgot that version).

Can anyone help me out which firmware update is the best/stable one I can use or what else I need to do to get connected properly?

Message 34 of 57
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Raymond3764 ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are not able to access your Orbi network using your iPhone and iPad. Both of these operating systems are based on iOS and IPadOS and have a feature called Private IP. The main purpose of this feature is to hide your IP address from online trackers. However, in some cases, it can cause network compatibility issues. If the iPad and iPhone are the only devices that are not able to access the network please consider turning off the "Private IP address" feature. 

Please follow the directions listed below to turn off the Private IP address: 

Open "Settings"
"Wi-Fi"
Select the "i" icon next to your connected network
Toggle off "Private Wi-Fi Address"

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 35 of 57
Raymond3764
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.

it seems to work. 
Never thought about this.

Does this depend on what iOS version I have? Other Apple products seem to have no problem.

Message 36 of 57
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Raymond3764,

You are very welcome!

This issue has been reported for some users while other users experience no issues using their iOS devices on their Orbi network. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 37 of 57
Raymond3764
Tutor

Maybe they will fix this in a future update.

For now you have solved my problem. Thank you once again
Message 38 of 57
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello.

It is five months removed from the release of this latest firmware version and neither the app nor the browser interface is offering a newer one .

I’m going to conclude the security updates, my only interest, are insignificant are not of enough importance to require an update.
Message 39 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

Just manually update as mentioned in the initial post.

Message 40 of 57
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Yes, of course I understand how to do that.

It’s a matter of principle. On one hand we endured a period of unsolicited updates, and now the frequency has slowed down which is understandable. If the security aspect mattered, I would have expected more of a push to get the device updated. That’s it really.

I may get around to doing the full magilla, factory reset and all. Or I may not bother at all and just replace the RBK50 with a WiFi 7 device as it appears the time for new tech has arrived.
Message 41 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

I was told a long while back the NG only pushes major FW updated versions and not minor ones. This version is considered a minor update. Along with asking NG to stop auto updating users systems which over the years had a long standing problem when used, and users posted and complained about it many times. NG is giving control back to users in regards to when there systems were updated, means that you as a user control what and when your system needs updating. NG offers the FW when it becomes available and it's up to you users to updated or let the system update, if and when the majors come down the pipe. For minor stuff, it's not that hard to update manually. 

Your choice. 

Good Luck. 

Message 42 of 57
gr8sho
Virtuoso

That’s all fine and understood.

As I said earlier, the issue of whether to update or not gets murky when statements like security fixes are thrown into the fray. I do not care about parental control so anything to update that feature is of no consequence to me personally. Also because I operate my RBR50 as an access point means I’m relying on other hardware for security, and that router gets quarterly updates whether I want them or not.

So yes, in the end I’ll take manual control over forced push any day.

Cheers.
Message 43 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 44 of 57
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I'm probably much newer to the Orbi world than the majority of posters here, having purchased a system in 2020, but I believe that this is the first firmware update that hasn't showed up in the web interface and app interface since I've had my system. I'm usually a person who installs firmware updates as soon as they are released, but after a nearly failed attempt at updating the Orbi firmware several versions back where I needed to use the app to successfully complete the update, I've since waited until the update is also showing up in the web/app interfaces before doing a manual update. I'm a little leery of updating manually to this version as I don't have a fallback if something goes awry. I've also made the assumption that when a firmware update shows up in the web/app interface it's been installed enough times where Netgear has determined it to be stable enough, and has decided to release it to the masses. Whether or not that's correct, I have no idea. 

Message 45 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have prior versions of FW files on hand then you'll have something to fall back on. 

If you follow the suggestions seen in the first post, you'll be fine. 

Update the RBS first then RBR lastly.

Recommended to use a ethernet connected PC to the RBR. 

Use the RBS web pages to send the FW file.

I recommend after the RBS and RBR have completed the FW update, power everything OFF for 1 minute then back on with the RBR first then RBS. Then observe. 

Message 46 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

Hi all,
It has been a while.  My RBK50 (one RBR50, two RBS50) on ver. 2.7.4.24 has been working fine for many months.
My satellites dropped off yesterday. I had to power-cycle them to get them back on the network.

Checking (via the web interface), I find that ver. 2.7.5.4 has been out for 8 months!
However, the web interface shows "No new firmware version available".  I know it sometimes take a while for the updates to show up on the servers.. but 8 months!?

I typically use Chrome, but also have Edge. My Firefox has tons of add-ons like ad and script blockers, so I try to avoid using it for things like this.

Should I manually download and update my RBS's and then RBR?  Any gotcha's with this firmware of update process that I should be aware of?

Message 47 of 57
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, manually RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

Message 48 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

TLDR:
I'm having problems: My satellites have disconnected and won't reconnect.

My router updated itself to 2.7.5.4 a few days back without my knowledge or involvement. Probably March 1.

That's when both my satellites disconnected and won't reconnect despite cold boot of the satellites, resync atempts by pressing the buttons or through the web interface.  I even removed a satellite from the system and brought it into the same room as the router.. No dice.  It tries, I get the solid magenta ring LED on the satellite.. sometimes it gets an amber ring for a few seconds.. then a solid magenta.

I don't know if the satellites updated or not, as they are never accessible.

Questions:
Any advice on how to proceed?

Are my satellites bricked?

PS: My devices all over the house disconnected.  It takes a long time for them to reconnect for the first time, even when supplied with correct password. After that, they connect fine. They are all connected to the router now.

alokeprasad_0-1709419792117.png

Message 49 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

Follow-up:
I reset the satellite using the reset button at the back.
On resync attempt (using the buttons).the satellite ring light becomes solid blue (😀) but refreshing the "connected devices" on the router web interface shows no connected satellites (😡). After 30 seconds of this, the satellite ring light turns solid magenta.

So, it is trying something and failing.  I am loath to reset my functioning router, in case I lose my whole home network..

Message 50 of 57
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 56 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7