× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.5.4

CrimpOn
Guru

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.5.4

My Goodness.  Firmware v2.7.5.4 was released in February, 2023 and rather than have the Orbi router/app announce "New Firmware Available", they pushed it in the middle of the night? Wow.

Two suggestions:

• Click the option to "Remove" this satellite. (It's not working. Why keep it?)
  • Use the paperclip to perform a Factory Reset on the satellite (holding the paperclip in the hole until the Power LED turns Amber and begins to flash).
  • After the satellite has restarted, go through the Add Orbi Satellite menu on the Orbi main menu (bottom item) and see if it will sync.

Another is to connect the satellite to the router with an Ethernet cable and see if it connects.

Will be interesting to learn if that firmware 'push' updated the satellite as well as the router.

Message 51 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thx!

The satellite I am working on is removed from the Orbi router web-interface (I prefer the web interface through a wired connected PC/Mac over the app. I'm old fashioned 😀).

Option 1: the paper-clip reset:

1. The satellite powers on after the reset button -> flashing amber power LED.
  2. The ring light on the satellite first flashes white then starts to pulse white (trying to sync).
  3. I tap "Add a satellite" on the app.  Now the router ring light starts pulsing white. Both are trying to find each other.
  4. No dice. Solid magenta ring light on the satellite
  5. Same results when I reset and initiate sync between them using the buttons on both. Also, the satellite enters the sync mode (pulsing white) automatically after the initial power-on (during which the ring lite flashes white).

I don't think this will work.

Can you please elaborate on the Option 2: connecting the satellite to the router's ethernet port?
What are the steps after that?

Thx. again.

Aloke

Message 52 of 57
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

(I prefer the web interface through a wired connected PC/Mac over the app. I'm old fashioned 😀).

Option 1: the paper-clip reset:

1. The satellite powers on after the reset button -> flashing amber power LED.
  2. The ring light on the satellite first flashes white then starts to pulse white (trying to sync).
  3. I tap "Add a satellite" on the app.  Now the router ring light starts pulsing white. Both are trying to find each other.

I sense an inconsistency.  "prefer the web" and then "on the app".  My suggestion is to do everything on the web interface. (with the satellite in the same room as the router)

The general advice on the forum is:

• First, confirm that the satellite will sync with the router using WiFi.  (This is the 'default' configuration.  If this doesn't work, there is something seriously wrong.)
  • Second, if the ultimate goal is to use a 'wired' connection for the satellite, try this in the same room as the router.  This is to confirm that the satellite will detect and switch to a wired connection.
  • Third, move the satellite to the desired location and connect it to the in-house wiring.  If it does not connect, this places suspicion on the in-house wiring. (RJ45 connectors, cable inside the walls, Ethernet patch cables from devices to walls or patch panel.)

In this particular instance, the satellite is not connecting to the router over WiFi and we are "stuck".  When they went into the box at the factory, the router and satellite were supposed to be "paired" so that a customer could take them out of the box and use them without doing anything.  (Literally --- just plug them in, use the WiFi credentials printed on the label, and do absolutely no configuration.).  So, maybe (just maybe) connecting the satellite to the router with an Ethernet cable might get them to connect.  It's a long shot, but nothing else has worked so far.

Message 53 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

Understood.  I would do the steps for a wired backhaul.  The satellite is (temporarily) in the same room as the router.. so it should be easy to try.

The goal is to re-connect them (somehow), re-flash the firmware, and try wireless backhaul again.  That is how it was being used (wireless backhaul) and needs to be again.

I'll try the wired backhaul method and report.

I used the app as a wild shot at (wireless) syncing.. but I expect that the app vs web interface vs button press are all equivalent in setting the router and satellite into the "seek each other" mode.

The fact that both my satellites failed the same way, at the the same time and around the time of an automatic push-update of the router firmware tells me that this is not a hardware failure.. 🤞🤞

Message 54 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

Success.  The satellite connected with the wired backhaul, directly connected to the Orbi router ethernet port.
Funny stuff:
The satellite still shows the name I had given it many years back.  The satellite still needed the password I had given it.  Shouldn't the "factory reset" using the pin have reset all that and made the password the default "password"?

alokeprasad_0-1709470666834.png

Now I will re-flash the satellite from the downloaded file, and try wireless backhaul.

🤞

Message 55 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

I manually re-flashed the RBS (wired backhaul) using its web interface, which went fine.

Regrettably, the satellite went back to its solid magenta ring behavior when I disconnected the ethernet connection and tried wireless syncing. 😥

The only thing I can try now is to reset the router and try adding the satellite.

I don't feel brave enough to try that!!

Message 56 of 57
alokeprasad
Mentor

Success.
I rebooted the router and now, the subject satellite connects with "good".

alokeprasad_0-1709476734041.png

TLDR: Reboot the router if you have problems with devices (including satellites) reconnecting after a firmware update (manual or forced 😠).

Message 57 of 57
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 56 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7