Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not able to ping address

kywong
Aspirant

Not able to ping address

I connected my PC with cable to one of the ethernet ports on RBS50.  Everything works great.  However, I have problems pinging certain IP addresses in the local network but I can connect to them (eg network drives).  This is strange.  Any comments

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
kywong
Aspirant

I rebooted the entire system including the router and the problem goes away.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Many devices do not allow ping (ICMP messages) for security reasons. Some of these devices have this configurable in the security settings.
In -as a similar example- Orbi settings, you can disable replying to ping requests on WAN.
Message 2 of 6
kywong
Aspirant

2 network drives are set up the same way. One at 192.168.1.251 and the other 192.168.1.252.  I can ping the .252 but not .251 from the PC cabled to the ethernet port of RBS50.  However, I don't have this problem with another computer which is connected directly by ethernet cable to the router.

Message 3 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Few things to check:

1. Is Orbi in Router Mode? If yes please make sure that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the DHCP end IP address is more than .252 that you use for your devices. I see that the IP addresses are on the edge! 🙂
  2. If Orbi is in AP Mode then please check the same in the ISP router
  3. It can be that the IP network configuration is not correctly synced in the Satellite. Please press the Sync button on the satellite to force a sync and see if after that ping will work similarly from the router as from satellite.
Message 4 of 6
kywong
Aspirant

I rebooted the entire system including the router and the problem goes away.  Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7