× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nothing will connect to RBS50 Satellite

amadeous
Aspirant

Nothing will connect to RBS50 Satellite

I have not been able to get anything to connect to the Orbi Satellite. It is connected to the router and has a good signal. The satellite is ~30-40 feet from the router. I have tried both Wired and wireless backbones. All of my wireless devices connect to the router on the second floor even though some of them are only a few feet from the satellite on the 1st floor. Both devices are on the latest firmware (v2.5.2.4) Daisy chaning is off and I have tried Fast Roaming both on and off. The house is ~5000sqf divded between 2 floors. I was actually getting better performance from my old Nighthawk and range entender. I have been through most of the forums but have not found any good solutions.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nothing will connect to RBS50 Satellite

What happens if you turn down the power output of the RBR. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings to 50 or 25%. Then try to connect any wifi device to the RBS? Besure to disable the wifi radio on the wifi device for 5 seconds then turn it back ON?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@amadeous wrote:

I have not been able to get anything to connect to the Orbi Satellite. It is connected to the router and has a good signal. The satellite is ~30-40 feet from the router. I have tried both Wired and wireless backbones. All of my wireless devices connect to the router on the second floor even though some of them are only a few feet from the satellite on the 1st floor. Both devices are on the latest firmware (v2.5.2.4) Daisy chaning is off and I have tried Fast Roaming both on and off. The house is ~5000sqf divded between 2 floors. I was actually getting better performance from my old Nighthawk and range entender. I have been through most of the forums but have not found any good solutions.

Any help would be appreciated! 

When this happens with wireless devices, sometimes the solution is to go to the devices that will not connect to the satellite and forget the wireless network.

Regarding wired devices, sometimes the app and/or GUI will report connected to router when in fact the device is connected to the satellite.

Message 3 of 10
amadeous
Aspirant

I have turned down the power on the 2.4 to 50%, it did not make a difference. Also a note if I power down the router my SSID completely dissapears to all devices. Shouldnt I still see the satellite? I have not performed a factory reset yet but I was having the same issue before I updated the firmware. I can try that next.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you should still see the RBS SSID being broadcast. If not, then something isn't working on the RBS. Try a reset. Press the button in back for 15 seconds then release. Use the sync button in back after the top ring LED starts to pulsate WHITE, then press the sync button on the RBR. 

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@amadeous wrote:

I have not been able to get anything to connect to the Orbi Satellite. It is connected to the router and has a good signal. The satellite is ~30-40 feet from the router. I have tried both Wired and wireless backbones. All of my wireless devices connect to the router on the second floor even though some of them are only a few feet from the satellite on the 1st floor.

Would you happen to have anything that can connect to the Orbi using an ethernet cable?  Would be useful to see if something plugged into the satellite gets an internet connection.  Something like a laptop.

When I use a "WiFi Analyzer" app on my Android devices, it clearly shows the two SSID's (router and satellite).  I have not powered the Orbi off for 4 months, so I am not interested in verifying that powering off the router will leave the satellite in operation.  An ordinary WiFi extender or access point, sure.  Something that is tied so intimately into the router.... hmmm.

p.s. The reason to disable Daisy Chain when there is only one satellite is because Daisy Chain creates another hidden 5G backhaul frequency to be used between the satellites.  It's not a huge problem, but WiFi access points blast out "management frames" constantly and it's kind of pointless to do so without a reason.

Message 6 of 10
amadeous
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@amadeous wrote:

I have not been able to get anything to connect to the Orbi Satellite. It is connected to the router and has a good signal. The satellite is ~30-40 feet from the router. I have tried both Wired and wireless backbones. All of my wireless devices connect to the router on the second floor even though some of them are only a few feet from the satellite on the 1st floor.

Would you happen to have anything that can connect to the Orbi using an ethernet cable?  Would be useful to see if something plugged into the satellite gets an internet connection.  Something like a laptop.

When I use a "WiFi Analyzer" app on my Android devices, it clearly shows the two SSID's (router and satellite).  I have not powered the Orbi off for 4 months, so I am not interested in verifying that powering off the router will leave the satellite in operation.  An ordinary WiFi extender or access point, sure.  Something that is tied so intimately into the router.... hmmm.

p.s. The reason to disable Daisy Chain when there is only one satellite is because Daisy Chain creates another hidden 5G backhaul frequency to be used between the satellites.  It's not a huge problem, but WiFi access points blast out "management frames" constantly and it's kind of pointless to do so without a reason.

When I use a WiFi analyzer on my Android it only shows the Router SSID, the Satellite is not broadcasting. I included a screenshot of the satellite webpage showing that is thinks its functional.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

With your wifi analyzer are you near the RBS when your checking this? Remember the SSID is the same between the RBR and RBS and you should see two different signals, if your close to the RBS it would be the one thats the stronger signal on the same channel. 

The status picture is of the RBS that is connected on 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz and the NO Connection status means there isn't any devices connected at the RBS. 

If you don't see any signal on your wifi analyzer while near the RBS, then something at the RBS isn't working. You might downgrade the RBS and RBR back to v16, factory reset both and setup from scratch.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

You don't have to synce the RBS. Use your wifi anyalyzer near the RBS and check for the default SSID name to appear, ORBI###. If you don't see this near the RBS, I would presume the RBS has gone bad.

Message 8 of 10
amadeous
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

With your wifi analyzer are you near the RBS when your checking this? Remember the SSID is the same between the RBR and RBS and you should see two different signals, if your close to the RBS it would be the one thats the stronger signal on the same channel. 

The status picture is of the RBS that is connected on 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz and the NO Connection status means there isn't any devices connected at the RBS. 

If you don't see any signal on your wifi analyzer while near the RBS, then something at the RBS isn't working. You might downgrade the RBS and RBR back to v16, factory reset both and setup from scratch.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

You don't have to synce the RBS. Use your wifi anyalyzer near the RBS and check for the default SSID name to appear, ORBI###. If you don't see this near the RBS, I would presume the RBS has gone bad.

So yeah, I downgraded the firmware on both devices did a factory reset on both devices, reconfigred everything and I still cannot get anything to connect to the Satellite. and When I shut down the router I get no SSID from the satellite. I tried calling Netnear and of course they will not even talk to me unless I Pay them $130 for support. What a joke.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact a forum moderator to see what options are available to you. 
@Blanca_O 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7