× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NowTV box problem with DM200/Orbi

goldnetN
Aspirant

NowTV box problem with DM200/Orbi

Last week installed new Orbi wifi with DM200 modem (set to Modem only). Realised our NowTV (Roku) box stopped working with BBC iPlayer. Spent 2 hours trying to do factory reset on it - always fails with the network connection (can't download application).

Tried it using my mobile as a wifi hot spot and all works absolutely fine, including the BBC iPlayer app.

Switch back to the Orbi connection and iPlayer stops working again. So definitely a problem with the Netgear system, either the DM200 or the Orbi.

Other strange issue is that the Netgear Speedtests never work, either in Genie/Orbi mobile apps or on the Orbi via web browser. If I do an independent scan via web browser I can get 70 mb down/20 up. This is fine for anything I might need to do.

So somewhere there's a bottleneck, bug, barrier that's blocking proper performance from the NowTV box - and maybe other connected devices...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NowTV box problem with DM200/Orbi

Change the DM back to modem/router mode and configure the Orbi for AP mode. This will let the Orbi act as a wireless pass thru for any data. No routing involved in this mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 28

All Replies

It isn't easy to unravel what is going on here.

For example, what is this application that you can't download?

Nor do I understand what is going on in  this bit:

@goldnetN wrote:

Tried it using my mobile as a wifi hot spot and all works absolutely fine, including the BBC iPlayer app.

Tried what using your mobile as a wifi hot spot?

Is the Roku box on wifi or wired into the network?

Message 2 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Hi - thanks for helping

The app the box is trying to download is its own software - with 20 default apps for the various different TV players.

When connected via Netgear it constantly fails - error-4 indicating a connection problem. The box is sitting 6 ft from the Orbi and I have high speed fibre so this seems unlikely.

I was able to identify the Netgear kit as the problem by setting up a Wi-fi hotspot on my phone and connecting the NowTV box to that. Application download was fine and the iPlayer app works perfectly.

Switch the connection back to NetGear and iPlayer fails to load.

Whether the ‘blockage’ is to do with a setting or bug in the Orbi or the DM200, which is set to Modem-only mode, I don’t know.

I’ve seen reports here that the DM200 doesn’t go into totally transparent modem mode though don’t know if that’s anything to do with the issue here.

Never had any problems with the NowTV box when connected via my PlusNet modem/router or the BT and Sky ones before that.
Message 3 of 28

@goldnetN wrote:
I’ve seen reports here that the DM200 doesn’t go into totally transparent modem mode though don’t know if that’s anything to do with the issue here.

I have a DM200 in modem mode feeding an R7800 as router and then a string of Orbi kit, with the Orbi router in AP mode.

Works fine.

Message 4 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Ok, well good to hear it’s not an all or nothing issue with modem mode.

Still hard to identify where the issue lies or with which box...

If the NowTV works through a wi-fi hotspot on the mobile which must be slower and with less bandwidth than the main VDSL connection, it must lie somehow with the NG.

Other Wi-fi use with phone, iPad and 3 laptops is fine (apart from the NG Speedtests)
Message 5 of 28

@goldnetN wrote:

If the NowTV works through a wi-fi hotspot on the mobile which must be slower and with less bandwidth than the main VDSL connection, it must lie somehow with the NG.

Other Wi-fi use with phone, iPad and 3 laptops is fine (apart from the NG Speedtests)

These two statements contradict each other. The router doesn't care what wifi clients you throw at it. It won't pick on one and reject its advances.

If other stuff wifi works well with the Netgear wifi, that suggests that the problem is with the NowTV and how it connects to the wifi.

That is in line with past experience. Many complaints about the router's track back to the wifi clients.

My own experience – getting smart BluRay players and Internet radios to work with wifi – confirms this. I find that it is better to use Powerline Ethernet with these. Easier to set up, less liable to disruption, and once set, stays that way.

As you have previously set up the NowTV with other wifi sources, it might be a good idea to put it back to default settings and start the setup from scratch.

Message 6 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Thanks for helping but I don't agree I am being contradictory!

The only parts of my system that have changed have been substitution of the ISP provided modem/router for the Orbi/DM200 (as the PlusNet router can't be set to bridge-only mode).

Due to the nature of the house, I can't run cables or powerline (as all rooms I need to connect are on different electrical runs to the fuse box), so a good mesh system was the perfect solution - router in living room with switch currently handling printers; and satellite in office with switch serving PCs. Despite some reported teething problems, Orbi seemed the best option. from the research I did beforehand.

I have to say, when it is working properly, the reach and strength of the Orbi is great. There are a few oddities of losing connection when resuming laptops from sleep, the inability to run speed tests from the NG apps (or QOS tests) and this annoying failure of iPlayer.

It is trying to reset the NowTV box to factory settings that highlighted the problem - it can't access its own default setup to download - that's the error message I'm getting.

When I switched the wifi connection to the phone's hotspot, the process completed immediately. All the default apps came up and iPlayer worked.

As soon as I put it back onto the Netgear wifi, it failed again.

That doesn't seem to point to the NowTV box as being the cause of the problem. I accept that routers don't generally disciminate between wifi devices, I do wonder if some security, internet, wireless configuration is somehow interfering with the NowTv's streaming of iPlayer.

I'be bought a Chromecast for the kitchen TV, to avoid an aerial point. As that only serves the iPlayer from the phone or tablet, I don't expect it to be similarly affected.

I know the NowTv box was only £15 but it does the job well and I'm loath to lay out £80 for an HD Roku stick if that's also going to wrestle with the NG wifi.

I do have a support call into NG for this - maybe they'll spot something!

Message 7 of 28

@goldnetN wrote:

Due to the nature of the house, I can't run cables or powerline (as all rooms I need to connect are on different electrical runs to the fuse box)

That does not prevent Powerline from working. Practically everyone has different electrical runs to the fuse box. I do.

What can get in the way is if there are several fuse boxes and circuit breakers on the mains circuit.

But my network manages to overcome even that "rule".

@goldnetN wrote:

It is trying to reset the NowTV box to factory settings that highlighted the problem - it can't access its own default setup to download - that's the error message I'm getting.

And you still think that the Netgear stuff is the cause? Puzzling.

Message 8 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@goldnetN wrote:

Due to the nature of the house, I can't run cables or powerline (as all rooms I need to connect are on different electrical runs to the fuse box)

That does not prevent Powerline from working. Practically everyone has different electrical runs to the fuse box. I do.

What can get in the way is if there are several fuse boxes and circuit breakers on the mains circuit.

But my network manages to overcome even that "rule".

OK, though I'd read a lot of advice to avoid powerline unless on same circuits, and mesh wifi (esp systems with independent backload network)  seemed to be the future. I intentionally chose one which also lets me hard-wire to router/satellite - serving my home entertainment in one room and office computers/printers in the another

@goldnetN wrote:

And you still think that the Netgear stuff is the cause? Puzzling.

It's what shows up an issue with a connection to the internet. When IT troubleshooting, I always look for what's changed since everything worked.

The swap of router/modem is the only variable. The NowTV box works perfectly well with several other combinations (iPhone/EE, Plusnet, BT, Sky routers) and only has an issue connecting to the internet (whether to update/reset or operate) when coupled to the Netgear wifi.

I suppose I should also check whether a hardwire connection to the router makes any difference - similar problems raised here and on NowTV support forums say wired connection doesn't resolve issues. If it works wired, that would presumably confirm a wifi incompatibility with the Orbi? If it doesn't work wired, could still be an issue with NG incompatibility of some kind between the 2.

The issue with the Orbi/Netgear apps SpeedTests/QOS settings also failing to get a connection seems to point to something there too.

Message 9 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Well NowTV people looking into it - they suspect a setting/protocol with the NG kit that differs in some respect from a general standard and is throwing the box (rather than a bug or incompatibility) and/or something specific to the BBC iPlayer application (since the other applications on the NowTV box don't seem to be affected.

Trying to find which particular setting is really hard when one doesn't know what they all are or do! 

BBC iPlayer people accept an incompatibility of some kind which they're looking into.

Seems that for no-one is the time and effort needed to resolve the issue seem warranted.

I really need iPlayer, so am buying a new Freeview Player box to take NowTV out of the equation - it's done service for a few years, so it's paid back its £15.

Message 10 of 28
lwood1994
Aspirant

im having this exact same issue on plusnet with a netgear dm200 and a nighthawk x6.  now tv are saying that there seeing my internet speed as zero for some reason

Message 11 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact your service provider to see if Orbi is compatible with there services...

@lwood1994 wrote:

im having this exact same issue with a netgear dm200 and a nighthawk x6. 

Message 12 of 28
lwood1994
Aspirant

I’m not using orbi I’m using a nighthawk x6(r8000) Dm200 in brige mode and all the Plusnet details In the NETGEAR. Everything else works just now tv doesn’t. YouTube and all the other apps work just now tv. Something with the dm200 doesn’t let the now tv box or stick connect to its servers
Message 13 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

@lwood1994 wrote:

im having this exact same issue on plusnet with a netgear dm200 and a nighthawk x6.  now tv are saying that there seeing my internet speed as zero for some reason

Hi - so glad I'm not the only one!

Interesting you say your speed is showing as zero. I'm on Plusnet Super Fibre and getting around a 75 mbps connection. 

The built-in speed test (in the mobile Orbi app or under QOS options in the web interface) won't work - reporting no or poor connection. 

This is exactly the symptoms reported by the NowTV box when trying to reet, update or remove/add the iPlayer app. 

Everything else on the wifi runs fast and fine, so I still think it's something within the NG setup that incorrectly reports connection speed/strength to the NowTV box.

Found tonight a response from NG support to my official support ticket (didn't know as there was no email notification). They ask about the back connection to the Orbi satellite (I assume they mean its IP) - nothing to do with the NowTV box as that sits 5 ft from the main router. Ask me to update firmware - reluctantly done and will recheck the NowTV box shortly.

I also posted a ticket under the DM200 but for some reason that's not registered under the same login and I don't know how to access it in the support system, nor a way to contact anyone to ask to merge the two logins. I can't register itunder the same ID as it says it's already registered! 

Message 14 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Well PlusNet Super Fibre is essentially BT Infinity FTTC - if NG kit won't work with that there's little hope in the UK! Having spent £400 on Orbi and DM200, I'm not going to chuck it for the sake of the £15 NowTV box (have already ordered a new Freview Player HDD recorder, so will be chucking it soon anyway).

Message 15 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Exactly - if I'm stuffed by the Orbi and you by the Nighthawk, it points to the DM200. As I said earlier, I bet there's an odd setting or protocol that could be adjusted if only someone here or at NG would accept it's a problem their end and not keep saying it's the other kit/apps...

Message 16 of 28
lwood1994
Aspirant

if I go on speedtest.net I get 40 down and 10 up that is paid for . I don't get where now tv support got 0 from but that's what they told me. seems to me to be a fault with the dm200 maybe as that is the same unit in both our cases as your using a orbi router and I'm using a nighthawk x6 r8000

will be interesting what settings need to be changed to allow not tv services to connect to there system

Message 17 of 28
lwood1994
Aspirant

in thinking of replacing a dm200 with a vigor 130 ad reviews say it more reliable than the dm200

Message 18 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Hmm, I went for the DM200 because it was cheap (!) and also that NG couldn't claim any issues with its own Orbi kit (as there were a number of reports of issues with it).

I suppose I could return it (Amazon) but the Vigor 130 is over double the price...

And as I've said, I'm solving the problem by chucking NowTV. It's just taken too much time and effort to resolve. Netgear support is so painful...!

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the NG routers in AP mode? 

Message 20 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

Ok - how does that affect any other attached kit? DM200 still in bridge mode or change back to normal?
Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Change the DM back to modem/router mode and configure the Orbi for AP mode. This will let the Orbi act as a wireless pass thru for any data. No routing involved in this mode. 

Message 22 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hi

Thinking I was at the end of the road with the NowTV box and without any useful 'official' information from NG support, I bought a new Panasonic Freeview Player recorder. Set it up yesterday and couldn't get the Freeview Player functions to work. Other internet features (YouTube, Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall) worked fine.

I tried connecting it to my mobile wifi hot spot, instead of the NG - didn't work. Connecting to the Orbi by wire - didn't work.

Tried your suggestion to switch DM200 to regular modem/router mode and Orbi to AP mode. Both Panasonic and NowTV work fine!

SO
i) the router handling protocols of the Orbi are flawed ; OR
ii) there are settings on the Orbi that were blocking internet connections to the Freeview Player and NowTV BBC iPlayer functions.

It would be really good to know whether this is a bug or whether it's simply a configurable option, and, if so, what the relevant settings are.

So, thank you for the tip. Would very much like to understand what the issue is and how the Orbi allows YouTube to work but prevents Freeview Player and BBC iPlayer functionality. 

Feels like some kind of firewall/security function - but exactly what? Why does DM200 allow what Orbi prevents?!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be some ports or protcols unknown to NG and the Orbi system and thus it maybe blocking services when in router mode. Sounds like running in AP mode with the modem running in router mode is the best solution for you. 

Message 24 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Could be some ports or protcols unknown to NG and the Orbi system and thus it maybe blocking services when in router mode. Sounds like running in AP mode with the modem running in router mode is the best solution for you. 

OK, though it does seem odd that NG, being so experienced in the whole history of modem/router manufacture and support, should be unaware of methods used by streamer boxes to communicate to the internet. The NowTV box admittedly may not be mainstream, but Panasonic: a range is a couple of years old?

If my kit is blocking something I need, surely I ought to be able to choose to unblock it? 

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7