Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBK50 - ISP DHCP LEASE PRESENT - INTERNET CONNECTION GOES OUT

latemetal
Aspirant

ORBI RBK50 - ISP DHCP LEASE PRESENT - INTERNET CONNECTION GOES OUT

I have an RBK50, used with Spectrum in SoCal. The gist of the issue is that the Router sees that it has a DHCP lease from the ISP but there is no internet. It goes out like once a day and I have to physically power cycle the modem to get the connection back. Spectrum insists that its the router. They have come here, tested all the lines and the modem and everything checks out on their end. I have no idea why this happens.

I once just left it all night, and the connection never came back on its own either.

Power cycling the router does not fix it, has to be the modem.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 11
latemetal
Aspirant

I have power cycled both modem and router multiple times. When I lose connectivity I only need to power cycle the modem to get it back. Power cycling the router alone does nothing.

Firmware Version: V2.3.5.30

The modem is branded as Charter Spectrum all over but underneath it says:

EN2251

Hitron Technologies, Inc.

DOCSUS 3.1 eMTA

I googled it but nothing came up.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

if thats the case the I would talk to the ISP about this:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 4 of 11
latemetal
Aspirant

ISP says its not them, they checked the line at every point and they say its fine.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Be sure to not enabled any Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds as well after you reset the RBR. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. 

Message 6 of 11
vajim
Master

@latemetal wrote:

I have power cycled both modem and router multiple times. When I lose connectivity I only need to power cycle the modem to get it back. Power cycling the router alone does nothing.

Firmware Version: V2.3.5.30

The modem is branded as Charter Spectrum all over but underneath it says:

EN2251

Hitron Technologies, Inc.

DOCSUS 3.1 eMTA

I googled it but nothing came up.

wow...and I thought my firmware was old

Message 7 of 11
latemetal
Aspirant

Lol, yeah. Apparently the router does not notify you at all about new firmwares. I am 2.7 now. Maybe it will fix it.

Message 8 of 11
latemetal
Aspirant

My satellite uses a wired backhaul. This is not a wifi issue.

Message 9 of 11
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi latemeal,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to backlog. Regarding your concern, when the issue is happening, did you check the connection on your modem before you reboot or powercycle the modem? Can you still access the router's user interface when the issue happens? Did updating the firmware fix the issue?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@latemetal wrote:

I have an RBK50, used with Spectrum in SoCal. The gist of the issue is that the Router sees that it has a DHCP lease from the ISP but there is no internet. It goes out like once a day and I have to physically power cycle the modem to get the connection back. Spectrum insists that its the router. They have come here, tested all the lines and the modem and everything checks out on their end. I have no idea why this happens.

I once just left it all night, and the connection never came back on its own either.

Power cycling the router does not fix it, has to be the modem.

I also have Spectrum in SoCal.  Back in March there was a major problem with Orbi's losing the ability to resolve URL's into IP addresses using the Domain Name Service protocol (DNS).  DNS failure results in the appearance of "no internet".  While this is not likely to be your problem (a) because firmware 2.3.5.0 was not affected and (b) because restarting the router would be a temporary fix, would you be comfortable checking on whether this is DNS failure or IP failure?

i.e. attempt to ping a known internet resource, such as dns.google.com or one.one.one.one

If this fails, attempt to ping them by IP address, i.e. 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

If this also fails, then there is definitely a "loss of internet"

p.s. I have an Orbi system on firmware 2.3.5.0 that works great. (not on Spectrum)

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7