Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBK53 Region Change

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Mike_D_il wrote:

On my setup, it seems to revert back to "US only" now and again. (I DO click Apply). I can't find anywhere that the Orbi automatically updates. What am I missing? ...

Is there any events in the system log, firmware reset, etc.,?  Try to reboot the Orbi after hitting the "APPLY" button to verify if the region change has persisted across reboots.  You can also use cmd line via telnet window to check the region before and after reboot.

Message 26 of 37
Mike_D_il
Guide

Thanks for your feedback. I eventually found this:

https://stdin.coffee/blog/how-to-disable-auto-update-on-netgear-orbi

Mike

Message 27 of 37
Huskynut20
Aspirant

I've been fighting to convert my RBK40 pair from US to NZ, and this looks like the right way to go about it!

I can access the debug screen and have enabled the telnet login, but:

- if I Telnet on the default port 23, I get the connection immediately dropped

- if I Telnet on port 8443 (default admin port), the connection doesn't immediately fail like above, but it just "hangs" ie no telnet response.

Any ideas on this? It feels like so close to a solution but not quite working - sooo frustrating!

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

The remote admin port 8443 is for https only on the WAN port, and is not what you want. Just ordinary Telnet. I use PuTTY. Works great.
Message 29 of 37

@CrimpOn wrote:
The remote admin port 8443 is for https only on the WAN port, and is not what you want. Just ordinary Telnet. I use PuTTY. Works great.

Indeed. When I wanted to migrate some Orbi stuff I simply did it in Windows. No port management involved

This is the message that bailed me out:

Re: Orbi RKB53 global differences - NETGEAR Communities

This may be the thing you have been using, but it is easy to get lost in these long and rambling discussions that cover a lot of different topics.

Message 30 of 37
Huskynut20
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt replies - much appreciated.

I think the issues is simpler (or possibly more complicated - I can't yet tell.. 😉

Despite checking the Enable Telnet box on the debug web page, I can't get any response from the device on Telnet. I'd have expected to get a login challenge/response, or possibly if no login required then a command prompt response, but I'm getting nothing back at all (only a session timeout after ~20 seconds of no response). The same behaviour from both telnet command in cmd window and from Putty client, so it looks like a server-side issue to me.

I can't see any "Apply" button in the debug window, so I wondered if the Enable Telnet box check setting hadn't been applied, but the Start Capture and Save Debug Log buttons seem to work correctly on click. And I've tried accessing the debug window in multiple browsers, and there's no "Apply" button on the debug screen in any of them.

The only other things I can think of:

- does Telnet access need to be via a specific interface or port on the RBR40? I've tried putting my management device on both a separate physical port direct into the RBR40, and also via a physical port on the upstream router - no joy either way. Should I try via a wifi connection to the RBR40?

- are any other settings needed to enable management and/or telnet? I've enabled Remote Management by any IP address in the Orbi Advanced Setup, and can't any other settings that might be interfering

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Message 31 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@Huskynut20 wrote:

Despite checking the Enable Telnet box on the debug web page, I can't get any response from the device on Telnet. I'd have expected to get a login challenge/response, or possibly if no login required then a command prompt response, but I'm getting nothing back at all (only a session timeout after ~20 seconds of no response). The same behaviour from both telnet command in cmd window and from Putty client, so it looks like a server-side issue to me.

This is really strange.  My Orbi has the "Enable Telnet" box checked.  (When I check the box, I notice that the web page "refreshes".)  There is no "Apply" button.

When I PuTTY telnet or use the Windows telnet into the Orbi I see this:

====================LOGIN=========================
Please enter account and password!!
==================================================

PuTTY definitely has Port 23 defined.  On Windows telnet, I do not put anything besides the IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.1.

I typically use a wired connection, but I just checked a WiFi connection (Linux PuTTY) and it worked as well.

If there is a session "timeout" that indicates to me that the IP address is incorrect.  Is this being done by IP address or DNS name (i.e. orbilogin.net)?  (Hint:  as an "Old Fart", I use IP address 90% of the time.)

"Remote Management" has nothing to do with telnet access.  Remote Management is only through the WAN port.

Message 32 of 37
Huskynut20
Aspirant

So it turns out:

- Both Orbi and my ISP router were configured as DHCP servers. The IP address I was trying on the Orbi for telnet was the address assigned to the Orbi by my ISP router. That address worked fine for everything... except Telnet.

- Orbi defaults to a local address of 192.168.1.1 This address was unreachable to my client, even when my client was plugged directly into the Orbi

- I disabled DHCP on the Orbi, then moved it's primary address onto an unused subnet. When I telnet to this new address - voila! Telnet springs into life

- I'm on the edge of my knowledge here, but suspect the way the subnets were being bound to the interfaces meant my telnet packets were being routed out a different i/f to the one I was on

tl;dr - telnet working. I changed the region to AU via command line and the web interface has sprung into life as the other threads indicated

Thanks very much for the moral support to fight through to getting it working. I would certainly have given up before sussing it out without it that help!

Andrew

Message 33 of 37
Huskynut20
Aspirant

Update - discovered i had to renable DHCP on Orbi for wireless clients to pickup IP addresses (Orbi doesn't seem to DHCP relay), but reenabled it with no problems.

Wireless throughput and speed is definitely up using the NZ (Australian) region settings over US settings, so definitely worth doing..

Message 34 of 37
palace35mm
Aspirant

Hi Mike I also have the same setup RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites and was facing the same exact issue like yours. When I checked the serial number of my router it said origin Europe and after reading your post have changed the region to Europe and now my Internet doesn't stop. I have no clue as it why this is happening but this worked for me too so a big thank you as I spoke to the tech support here in India and they were going to send me a replacement satellite. Just hope it doesn't stop again. Thank you once again Mike.
Message 35 of 37
Mike_D_il
Guide

Thanks for letting me know and I'm very pleased it worked for you. From my experience, it seems the revent back to the US pretty frequently. I tried cancelling automatic updates but that didn't help. So now, about once every 2 weeks, I go in and change it back to Europe. It's pretty inconveient, but at least it works.

Mike

Message 36 of 37
palace35mm
Aspirant

Hi Mike I have checked and my region is still set to Europe. I am on VOXEL Custom firmware so no problem of automatic updates. This firmware is actually very good and stable and even my download speeds have increased by 3mbps. So far so good.
Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7