× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR50 - Hardware issue or bricked?

Rick07
Tutor

ORBI RBR50 - Hardware issue or bricked?

Hi,

A first post, so thank you for any help.

ORBI RBR50 suddenly stopped working a few days ago after 9 months of problem-free wireless internet. No power surges or brown-outs, no tinkering with any settings on the router itself, or the Virginmedia modem. 

When I first checked the router the power LED was flashing red. When I restarted it the LED has maintained a solid green

Tried rebooting the router, recycling the modem, but no wireless network available. Tried to factory reset but I hold the pin in for 2 minutes without any amber flashing. It maintains the green LED power light with the top LED flashing white.

Tried wiring it to a PC for a wired connection so I could reset it or TFTP latest firmware with a static IP address, but the cable is not detected (network cable unplugged). Obviously I don't know the firmware as I cannot connect to it.

I cannot think of anything else to do. Netgear support assure me that there is no hardware issue based on the lights and I have to pay £60 for support. 

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

Turn off the Orbi router, press and hold the reset button, turn on the Orbi router, while still pressing the reset button. What happens?

Message 2 of 11
Rick07
Tutor

Thanks @Mstrbig 

Gave it a try.

It boots in the usual way. Green LED on for 30secs. Short burst of Red flashing LED then Green again.

If I continue to hold the reset button for a further 30secs, 3 Red flashes then back to Green with white flashing top LED.

Still no wireless or wired connection.. 

Message 3 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

Once it gets to that point, you have to now set it up using the app. The lights on top should blink white, until it is fully setup, which the will tell you
Message 4 of 11
Rick07
Tutor

@Mstrbig wrote:
Once it gets to that point, you have to now set it up using the app

I cannot use the app as there is no wireless  (or wired) network available to connect to.
Or have I missed something?

Message 5 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

@Rick07 wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:
Once it gets to that point, you have to now set it up using the app

I cannot use the app as there is no wireless  (or wired) network available to connect to.
Or have I missed something? 

Have you tried running the app? Do you see the orbi's wireless SSID on your phone and can you connect to it? If you see it, connect to it, then run your orbi app and install the router.

Message 6 of 11
Rick07
Tutor

Many thanks for your perseverence @Mstrbig 

I tried to run the app but it fails to set it up as it cannot find the router - 'Orbi Not Found'. 

I think I will pay the £60 and get support to confirm it is a hardware issue, then complain about the support charge.

Message 7 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

You're Welcome. Before you pay:

Have you tried a wired PC connection directly to your router or satellite?

Do you see and can you access the preset WiFi network name (SSID) and password on the label on the Orbi router or satellite?

Message 8 of 11
Rick07
Tutor

Yep. All communication lines, wired or wireless, are down. 

I will post the solution if support does somehow mange to get this going. I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 11
JMR5859
Aspirant

Ever get a resolution to this? Im having same issue

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset doesn't seen to work? 

Are you getting any back or top LED indications? 

Swap power supply with a RBS to see if the RBR changes any behaviors if you have RBS. 

@JMR5859 wrote:

Ever get a resolution to this? Im having same issue

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7