× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBS50 Satellite Connect To Router Not Internet

edthesprinter
Aspirant

ORBI RBS50 Satellite Connect To Router Not Internet

Hello,

I have an RBS50 satellite that is connected to the main router, but does not provide internet access, while the other satellite and main router have Internet access. When I noticed the problem and turned off and back on, I saw the troubled satellite was showing two times, one connected and the other connected.

Firmware: V2.5.1.8

What I tried:

• Turned off and on.
  • I did a reset and it didn't work. (At this point, the satellite only showed one time)
  • I turned off, removed the connected device, then added.

The light after syncing is blue, which indicates a good connection.

Thank you in advance.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
edthesprinter
Aspirant

OK, I got it working.

Background: My firmware version was V2.5.1.8. I realized I recently updated to this version. While checking things via the admin page, I noticed V2.5.1.16 is now available. Before the update, I did another factory reset of the satellite that was giving me the problem. It didn't solve the problem, so I did the firmware update.

Afterwards, the problem remained. I remembered that the network map, at one point, had the satellite listed twice. Then I realized all of the devices that connected to it were not able to access the Internet. This included cell phones and tablets. I moved the satellite, shut off  a smart speaker, released the IP address, and turned it back on. The smart speaker attached to the satellite in question and accessed the Internet!

I went to the access list, and I saw all of the devices that had connected to the satellite, in its normal location, were blocked. I unblocked them and now all is well. My guess is that when the satellite was in the network map two times, all of the connected devices were automagically blocked.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem or router  the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

This isn't a FW issue. Probably a modem configuration issue is all...

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

here's your problem......Firmware: V2.5.1.8

get rid of it

Message 3 of 8
edthesprinter
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. Given this has been working for over a year, and now just stopped, I don't understand the nature of the questions. 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Anything can change in your environment or surroundings as well. 

@edthesprinter wrote:

Thank you for the reply. Given this has been working for over a year, and now just stopped, I don't understand the nature of the questions. 

Message 5 of 8
edthesprinter
Aspirant

OK, I got it working.

Background: My firmware version was V2.5.1.8. I realized I recently updated to this version. While checking things via the admin page, I noticed V2.5.1.16 is now available. Before the update, I did another factory reset of the satellite that was giving me the problem. It didn't solve the problem, so I did the firmware update.

Afterwards, the problem remained. I remembered that the network map, at one point, had the satellite listed twice. Then I realized all of the devices that connected to it were not able to access the Internet. This included cell phones and tablets. I moved the satellite, shut off  a smart speaker, released the IP address, and turned it back on. The smart speaker attached to the satellite in question and accessed the Internet!

I went to the access list, and I saw all of the devices that had connected to the satellite, in its normal location, were blocked. I unblocked them and now all is well. My guess is that when the satellite was in the network map two times, all of the connected devices were automagically blocked.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset of the RBR and the RBS as awell would have cleared the problem. It's best if you reset the RBS, reset the RBR aswell. 

Glad it's working now. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A factory reset of the RBR and the RBS  is for lost passwords

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation