Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI dual band router and Simplisafe doorbell?

glojoe
Tutor

ORBI dual band router and Simplisafe doorbell?

I have the ORBI RBR20 router and I am trying to connect a Simplisafe doorbell which requires 2.4 Ghtz but it can't connect. The setup never gives me the chance to choose which band to connect to. Any ideas?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

At what point during the setup does it not connect?  According the the Simplisafe Doorbell Setup Guide, after the doorbell is physically installed, Step 8 says to wait until the LED ring blinks white.  Step 9 is to use the "app" to set up the doorbell WiFi connection, which produces a QR code that you hold in front of the camera.

There is not a step to specify 2.4G because the camera will automatically find it when shown the QR code containing the WiFi name and password.

Message 2 of 7
glojoe
Tutor

I went through the steps on the app while I had Simplisafe customer service on the phone and when I got to the step with the QR code, the CS rep said it should ask me to sign in to the wifi and select the 2.4 Ghz but it doesn't do that, it just starts trying to connect to wifi and it can't so it times out.

She had me try to go into my phone settings and change the wifi to the 2.4 but it doesn't give me that option.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

So the Simplisafe app created a QR code.  Held the QR code in front of the camera.  Then, the Simplisafe app did not recognize that the camera was there?

Message 4 of 7
glojoe
Tutor

Yes, I scanned the QR code, it automatically, without me signing in, searches for WiFi for a couple minutes and then stops. It's like it times out because it can't find the 2.4 band and it goes back to blinking white. The SimpliSafe CS said that it should ask me to select the WiFi I want to connect to but it never does that step in the setup process.
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@glojoe wrote:

I have the ORBI RBR20 router and I am trying to connect a Simplisafe doorbell which requires 2.4 Ghtz but it can't connect. The setup never gives me the chance to choose which band to connect to. Any ideas?

Where is the setup being performed?  On your phone?  If so, check this out...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Configuring-IOT-devices/m-p/1805763#M71565

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@glojoe wrote:
Yes, I scanned the QR code, it automatically, without me signing in, searches for WiFi for a couple minutes and then stops. It's like it times out because it can't find the 2.4 band and it goes back to blinking white. The SimpliSafe CS said that it should ask me to select the WiFi I want to connect to but it never does that step in the setup process.

I have Simplisafe and use the Simplisafe app on both my phone and tablet (they are both Android).  I went through the camera setup on both the phone and the tablet.  It shows a list of WiFi networks. I select the one I want.  It asks me to enter the password.  It asks if the light it blinking white.  It asks if this is the front door or back door.  And THEN it asks me to hold the QR code in front of the camera.  I had to quit then because I have not purchased a camera.

Yes, there was that ominous message about "Must be 2.4G" when the list of networks was displayed.

Questions:

• Using Apple or Android?
  • The instructions include a QR code, but that is only to load the Simplisafe app.  The QR code to display in front of the camera appears on the phone or tablet.  If you did not reach that step, then something is definitely wrong.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7