Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Connection Drops

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi Connection Drops

Hi all!

So I have had my RBR50 for about 3 months and for some reason, it will drop it's internet connection about once a week and I have to do a full restart of the router and my modem. Here are my details

Router

Orbi RBR50 w/ Satalite 

Firmware: 2.2.1.210

Security: WPA2-PSK

Cable Modem

Netgear Gateway CM700

Firmware: V1.02.04

Service: Cox 

Has Netgear mentioned anything about a future firmware update to fix connection issues or does anyone have a good fix?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Connection Drops

Does Wifi appear to be a problem when this happens as well? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

How was the FW updated? Auto update or did you manually load FW files? If you auto updated, you might try downloading the routers FW file and apply it manually. Then do a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Swap LAN cables between the modem and router. CAT 6 recommended. 

NG doesn't post information about FW updates. Also hasn't been a much if any posts about internet disconnections and for some, the issue was resolved due to ISP modem configurations having a built in router with the modem. 

One issue with the CM700 is that it's an intel based modem, there are know issues with intel based modems:

http://www.badmodems.com

Message 2 of 4
Dapg8gt
Aspirant

ORBI RB50
ORBI RBS50
XFINITY TECHNICOLOR GATEWAY
1GB SERVICE

I've recently began having a somewhat similar issue. WiFi has progressively gotten slower over the course of the two months I've owned this thing and now seems to be a daily occurrence with the red\magenta ring of death .

Initially with 1GB service I was getting 750MBps through the orbi ( not bad )..Then I noticed some buffering on Netflix etc. And speed test would show 5 +|-Mbps a few feet from router or satellite on multiple devices. A reboot eventually got the speed back up to 400-500 Mbps but it will not get back up to 750 I had initially throughout my house ( not a deal breaker but not ideal)

Now every day I have the red \ purple light on my RB50 and satellite for no reason ,check connection and the app shows everything is ok and connected ,internet is painfully slow numerous times a day now.

There has been no changes to my system or location and I had a new line installed from the Comcast box to my house in November a few weeks before the orbi came in.

It could possibly be my Xfinity Technicolor gateway ( also new withing 3 months )and now I finally have the time to try to troubleshoot it. Found this post and am grateful for the post above so I can give it a shot as well. I thought I was going to be all ok since it was running so well without any issues but the reviews of these seemingly commonplace issues finally caught up with us as well

Good luck to the OP.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a ISP Modem with a built in router, try the following;

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@Dapg8gt wrote:
ORBI RB50
ORBI RBS50
XFINITY TECHNICOLOR GATEWAY
1GB SERVICE

I've recently began having a somewhat similar issue. WiFi has progressively gotten slower over the course of the two months I've owned this thing and now seems to be a daily occurrence with the red\magenta ring of death .

Initially with 1GB service I was getting 750MBps through the orbi ( not bad )..Then I noticed some buffering on Netflix etc. And speed test would show 5 +|-Mbps a few feet from router or satellite on multiple devices. A reboot eventually got the speed back up to 400-500 Mbps but it will not get back up to 750 I had initially throughout my house ( not a deal breaker but not ideal)

Now every day I have the red \ purple light on my RB50 and satellite for no reason ,check connection and the app shows everything is ok and connected ,internet is painfully slow numerous times a day now.

There has been no changes to my system or location and I had a new line installed from the Comcast box to my house in November a few weeks before the orbi came in.

It could possibly be my Xfinity Technicolor gateway ( also new withing 3 months )and now I finally have the time to try to troubleshoot it. Found this post and am grateful for the post above so I can give it a shot as well. I thought I was going to be all ok since it was running so well without any issues but the reviews of these seemingly commonplace issues finally caught up with us as well

Good luck to the OP.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7