Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RB50 very slow speed after update 2.0+

Sreenadh
Aspirant

Orbi RB50 very slow speed after update 2.0+

Hey guys,

As you guys already know the firmware update issue on the Orbi is never ending. This is my 4th orbi set and after updating them to the latest firmware my internet speed gets cut down by 75%. Out of the box both routers work perfectly fine running RBS50 Firmware Version 1.4.0.18 but when i updated to RBS50 Firmware Version 2.0.0.74 (the auto update check says this is the latest update,which isn't) the internet speed goes down from around 250-300mbps to around 50mbps. So i decided to do a manual update to the actual latest update: RBS50 Firmware Version 2.1.1.16 but the slow internet speed is not fixed. This is not a distance issue or a hardware issue, it is specifically a firmware issue. There are hundreds of complaints on this all over the internet. What is the solution Netgear? Please stop ignoring this well-known issue. The router works perfectly fine out of the box and this has been the case my previous 3 routers, which included the AC2200 and the AC3000. I am so tired of this ongoing issue and lack of care from Netgear regarding this issue. I am in the process of manually downgrading it but for some reason, the internet is still slow. It seems like the firmware update as a whole screwed up the router. smh. I have posted pictures before and after the update. So frustrating! 

Screenshot 2017-12-31 20.56.56.pngScreenshot 2017-12-31 20.57.02.pngScreenshot 2017-12-31 20.59.04.png

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
Sreenadh
Aspirant

Another update to the situation, the newer firmware updates make the orbi system choose a 2.4ghz signal over the 5ghz signal. I believe that if have an option to seperate the bands and make seperate ssids we can resolve this issue

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 4
tagteam
Virtuoso

There is no "option" in the GUI, per se, but instructions regarding a method to separate the networks are contained in the thread below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...  

Message 3 of 4
Sreenadh
Aspirant

@tagteam wrote:

There is no "option" in the GUI, per se, but instructions regarding a method to separate the networks are contained in the thread below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...  

I did see that but there should be an easier way like the linksys velop offers or pretty much any basic dual band router does 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7