Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 53 drops WiFi and does not keep configuration

Nbqx
Follower

Orbi RBK 53 drops WiFi and does not keep configuration

Hi,
Like many other’s here before, I was somewhat deflated when I tried to setup my new Orbi RBK 53 with two satellites and even after hours of trying and studying various posts on this forum here, the Orbi was so much more unreliable and weaker than my previous airport system:
Setting the router up via app on an iPhone 11, the WiFi signal was very weak, waxing, waning, dropping out completely. The system would not hold a configuration via the app. Setting things up via Orbilogin.com was better and I could update the firmware but did not improve much in terms of the WiFi signal. Hopes to create a fast WLAN across my 3 level concrete home full of steel and underfloor heating were dashed.
Then I found a number of recommendations to go deep into the settings and even self-made protocols and that was the breakthrough! I thought that this is not right needing to go through such troubles with a router, packed the whole thing back into the box and returned it as DOA and got my money back...
Did a bit more research but came to the conclusion that I probably needed the Orbi more than the Orbi needed me. So I bought another RBK53. This time, straight out of the box- same house, same exact place, same IPhone 11- it took 20 min including the firmware update to create the most wonderful mesh network with drops in speed across floors of only about 10%. It is easy and works. So, with the greatest respect to all the super talented geeks on here that make things work nevertheless, but if it doesn’t do what it says on the tin, it probably is broken. Exchange it for a new one. It’s your right.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK 53 drops WiFi and does not keep configuration

"Hopes to create a fast WLAN across my 3 level concrete home full of steel" This would be your main problem. Orbi isn't broken, it can't work well with concrete and steel building materials. No wifi radio works well in these kinds of building materials. You should look in to getting your home LAN cable wired or use Power Lines to setup wired RBSs or wireless APs. Wireless MESH in that kind of environment will be problematic at best. Wired will be preferred. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7