× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK30 issues

JohnfromJoplin
Aspirant

Orbi RBK30 issues

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK30 with one satellite.  I moved into a new house and have Spectrum as my ISP.  I have a Spectrum modem and installed the Orbi system as I wanted the option to set up my network with a smartphone as we are in the process of upgrading an old laptop.  A Spectrum rep came by last night to setup the modem and confirmed with their own router that service was active (along with wifi).  The Orbi system has been giving me fits over the past 24 hours.  It was online for a few hours; however, the satellite never synced.  The Orbi now states that internet is offline although and the satellite cannot be found. 

How do I resolve this issue?  I do not have a PC or Mac at the moment. We mainly utilize smartphones, Roku, Xbox, and other streaming devices.  I bought the Orbi as I wanted a truly wireless system. 

EDIT:  Not a surprise based upon the language in my post that I am not a tech savant. 

Message 1 of 8
JohnfromJoplin
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK30 issues

One other note; I registered my Orbi last night on the Netgear site in order to utilize support.  Why is there not a phone number for me to contact and speak with tech support?  I know better than to call a number that results from a simple internet search.  The Netgear site interface on Safari is dreadful. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@JohnfromJoplin wrote:

A Spectrum rep came by last night to setup the modem and confirmed with their own router that service was active (along with wifi).

Please clarify: Spectrum brought a router to demonstrate that the modem was working, and then took that router away and the WiFi that went with it?  i.e. the Orbi is plugged directly into the modem and is now the only WiFi?

Message 3 of 8
JohnfromJoplin
Aspirant

You are correct regarding the modem and the test use of Spectrum's router.  The modem is the only equipment provided by Spectrum and my Orbi is the only device connected via ethernet cable to the modem.  Wifi was available for a brief period with the Orbi last night after the Spectrum Tech left even though the satellite was never detected.  It has mostly been offline today per the Orbi app.

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Wow.  This challenge exceeds my ability in two areas: (1) I use a wired computer to set up and administer my Orbi, and (2) "Safari" implies an iPhone.

On the iPhone, are you using the Orbi app to administer the Orbi, or the Safari web browser?

On a side note:  My Orbis are loooong out of warranty.  I have this dim memory that once the new product has been registered, there is a link somewhere on the page to "Contact Support" that might have a phone number. And, that the link is not exactly obvious.

Message 5 of 8
JohnfromJoplin
Aspirant

Spot on with the iphone.  I utilized the app and the safari web browser.  No luck with either after the brief period of functionality. 

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

(While we're waiting for "someone who knows" to chime in)  I believe the first step is to power off the Orbi, then power off the modem, wait 30 seconds, power the modem back on and wait for the lights to stabilize, then power on the Orbi again.

1. Does the Orbi go through the normal power on cycle?
    i.e. ring is solid white and then goes off.
    https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean
    Does the Orbi WiFi signal appear and the iPhone will connect?
  2. Use Safari to connect to 192.168.1.1
    Enter "admin" and the password.
    Does the Home screen show internet?
  3. If so, stick a paperclip into the "reset" hold of the satellite until the power LED flashes amber (about 12 seconds)
    The satellite is now reset to factory and needs to be sync'd with the router using the sync buttons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Was the FW on the RBR updated at all? 

@JohnfromJoplin wrote:

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK30 with one satellite.  I moved into a new house and have Spectrum as my ISP.  I have a Spectrum modem and installed the Orbi system as I wanted the option to set up my network with a smartphone as we are in the process of upgrading an old laptop.  A Spectrum rep came by last night to setup the modem and confirmed with their own router that service was active (along with wifi).  The Orbi system has been giving me fits over the past 24 hours.  It was online for a few hours; however, the satellite never synced.  The Orbi now states that internet is offline although and the satellite cannot be found. 

How do I resolve this issue?  I do not have a PC or Mac at the moment. We mainly utilize smartphones, Roku, Xbox, and other streaming devices.  I bought the Orbi as I wanted a truly wireless system. 

EDIT:  Not a surprise based upon the language in my post that I am not a tech savant. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series