Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK352 Device Roaming

AC1975
Follower

Orbi RBK352 Device Roaming

Hi,

I have purchased the RBK352 Orbi router and satellite mesh system and have had them running for a few months. I am new to mesh wifi and want some help to understand it. I thought that mesh wifi systems enable device to seamlessly roam between units to keep a stable and strong connection. However, I find that devices such as iPhones etc are not doing this and instead staying connected to the satellite or router that is furthest away making the speed slow and drop outs frequent. Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Also, I have an Apple TV 4K that is connected via Ethernet but in the Orbi app, it shows as connected by wifi? Does anyone else have this issue?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK352 Device Roaming

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK352 Device Roaming

@AC1975 wrote:
I have purchased the RBK352 Orbi router and satellite mesh system and have had them running for a few months. I am new to mesh wifi and want some help to understand it. I thought that mesh wifi systems enable device to seamlessly roam between units to keep a stable and strong connection. However, I find that devices such as iPhones etc are not doing this and instead staying connected to the satellite or router that is furthest away making the speed slow and drop outs frequent. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

This has been a frequent topic on the forum for years.  It is up to the device to determine that there is a 'better' WiFi connection available and switch to it.  My phone, for example, is connected at 2.4G to an Orbi Voice in the garage even though I am sitting four feet away from the Orbi router upstairs.  My sense is that when I went out to fetch something from the garage, the phone switched and now thinks it has no need to switch again. When I 'turn off' WiFi and turn it back on, the phone connected to the router at 5G.  Annoying as hell.

@AC1975 wrote:
Also, I have an Apple TV 4K that is connected via Ethernet but in the Orbi app, it shows as connected by wifi? Does anyone else have this issue?

Problems with how the Orbi app shows the network and devices are another frequent topic, most often in regard to the app on iPhones.

You might enjoy browsing through some of the posts on the app forum to get a sense of what other customers are reporting:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7