Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK40 ethernet backhaul issues

bry25
Aspirant

Orbi RBK40 ethernet backhaul issues

I have an Orbi system(with 2 satellites) and it runs perfectly(most of the time!!!!!). my issue is this : most of the time all is perfect, until one(both do it at different times)satellite decides its bored and would  prefer to attempt a wireless connection. because of the range they can only establish a weak 2.4ghz link at best. when this happens, it appears that wifi connected devices cannot obtain IP addresses, Whether they are connected to the router or a satellite. Unconnected devices are stopped from connecting also. All 3 units are running latest firmware(2.1.4.16). Once this process has begun, the only way i resolve it is to factory reset the router and restore settings from my saved config. 

Upon reboot, all is back up and running again,maybe for a day,maybe for several weeks, you never know.

the satellites are both running through a netgear switch. I have even tried a different switch in case this was an issue but it was the same.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

I would set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

Message 2 of 6
bry25
Aspirant

The rbr40 is set in router mode(for DHCP assignment, not AP so is connected to my adsl modem. 

it runs via cat6 cable to a netgear prosafe GS-108 unmanaged switch. one port runs to one satellite and secocond port to other satellite. 

I have reservations set RBR40 192.168.0.1,RBS40(1) 192.168.0.2, RBS(2) 192.168.0.3

As i stated, this can be stable for weeks, or days!!!!! I never can tell and to be honest am now considering going over to Ubiquiti!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR40 should not have a IP address reservation.

Try powering off the switch and satellites. Power one the switch the power on 1 satellite at a time...

Message 4 of 6
bry25
Aspirant

sorry, the router hasnt got a reservation, thats the address allocated to it in the dhcp settings. 

I have tried powering the satellites on one at a time, after waiting for the first one to be stable first. even running for a couple of days with just one satellite connected then connecting the other one. again, stable for a indeterminate amount of time because all going down again. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Lets try turning OFF 1 of the satellites and see what happens?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7