Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 Latency Spikes

killah
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 Latency Spikes

Hello. I bought the Orbi RBR20 Mesh router a couple months ago. It was working perfectley fine with no latency spikes, especially in FPS games or games in general. But now I have latency spikes that go from the normal 40 to 200+ for a few seconds, it drops down afterwards. This happens in approximately 1-2 minute intervals. My Orbi was setup with the modem which was already in bridge mode. 

I have tried turning on and off: Implicit BEAMFORMING,  MU-MIMO,  Fast Roaming,  Daisy-Chain Topology, WMM 2.4 and 5Ghz , 20/40 MHz Coexistence. Nothing has worked in making my ping stable.

I have 2 satellites, one on the main floor, one in the basement. My main router is on the second floor. I have a Rogers modem. Firmeware of all both satellites and Router is V2.6.1.36. I tried factory resetting my modem and Orbi but it has not worked. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

It would be helpful to know which Orbi unit the gaming device connects to. (router or satellite).  If to a satellite, is it possible to temporarily relocate to the router?  Is the device connected via ethernet cable or WiFi?  (All of those WiFi parameters have nothing to do with an ethernet connection.)  I would tend to think that beamforming and MU-MIMO would be better left on if the gaming device supports those standards.

It is important to determine if the problem is local to the Orbi network, or is in the Internet connection.

200 sounds like a "big number". From my perspective, 0.2 seconds seems "pretty fast in human terms."  How is this ping being reported? (in the game software or through some other tool?)

Message 2 of 5
killah
Aspirant

It is connected to the router via WiFi. The spike is often 200 and above and happens instantly. It makes playing online games unplayable since lagging can kill your performance and the purpose in playing that game itself.

This is present in all online games. For example in Call of Duty, I get the error message "Connection Interuppted" and my character model teleports backwards from the last registered position. In another game, Valorant, I get "High Ping" and my character model lagging. Essentially I could be moving and suddenley I'm back from where I was a few seconds ago. For another player, I just stopped moving or moving aimlessley. 

Message 3 of 5
killah
Aspirant

It is connected to the router via WiFi on the same floor, few rooms across. I test my ping in FPS games, where having a constant stable connection is a necessity, otherwise during the moments your ping spikes you're useless and essentially frozen in place, or moving aimlessley. 200 is way too much it is often higher then that tbh and last for a few seconds. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the details.  Sound like WiFi might be relevant, but not the backhaul link between satellites and router.

My next step would be to confirm whether the issue is "my network" or "the internet". There are a bunch of ways to test this, including

• Using a computer wired directly to the router to capture a sequence of pings.
    This would focus attention on the WiFi connection.
    If the wired computer has no latency issue, then there is an issue with the WiFi connection.
  • Opening a telnet session on the Orbi router and capturing a sequence of pings.
    Are you comfortable with using telnet to access the Orbi router?
    (telnet access is enabled on the Orbi debug page http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm )
    ping (someplace)
    If you know where the game servers are, I would compare pinging them to pinging one of the major DNS servers,
    such as dns.google.com or one.one.one.one.
    If this test shows the latency problem, the issue is definitely the internet.
  • Disconnecting the Orbi from the modem and attaching the gaming computer directly to the modem.
    (This is most likely impractical for various reasons.)

You probably already know all this, so I may not be contributing much toward solving the problem.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7