Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 incorrect physical location

MarkD1944
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 incorrect physical location

We recently moved and took our Orbi RBR20 with us.  In Google Maps it indicated the current location as my previous home address.  I changed the MAC address from 'Default' to 'Computer'.  After rebooting the router and modem, the first time I selected current location in Maps it showed my CURRENT home address as current location.  The second and subsequent time I selected current location it showed my PREVIOUS home address.  Where else is this being stored??

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 incorrect physical location

As far as I am aware, Netgear routers do not store physical addresses.  The better question is probably, "How long will it take Google to realize that my WiFi system has moved to another physical address?"

https://www.howtogeek.com/768500/how-to-change-your-home-address-on-google-maps/ 

Message 2 of 8
MarkD1944
Aspirant

I temp swapped out the Orbi with my sister's old router, and it worked perfectly.  It's something in my Orbi.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the sister's old WiFi system have the same SSID and MAC address as the Orbi?

I have dumped the entire configuration file from my Orbi and there is no street address in it.

Message 4 of 8
MarkD1944
Aspirant

I'm not sure what the MAC and SSID addresses are for her router, and I understnnd that there is no physical address in the router.  But, something in either the MAC or SSID is teling me that I am still at my old house

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

What sort of device is running Google Maps?

Message 6 of 8
MarkD1944
Aspirant

It's not just Google Maps on my PC but also on Waze, and also similar apps on my wife's Mac using Safari.
Anything that depends on WiFi seems to point to the incorrect location.

I most likely will have to factory reset the device and set it up again.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

My vote is still on this being a Google feature having nothing to do with the Orbi configuration.

There's a pretty detailed explanation in this article about how Google uses WiFi SSIDs to determine location.

So, changing the WiFi SSID might be enough to make the previous location disappear.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/06/how-google-uses-wi-fi-networks-to-figure-out-your-exact-locatio... 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7