× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 - 2.4GHz smart devices keep dropping off

Mouskowits71
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 - 2.4GHz smart devices keep dropping off

Hello,

I have an Orbi RBR50. I have a few smart devices like light bulbs that only use the 2.4GHz channel. None of them can stay connected to the mesh network regardless of how close they are to the base or satellites. What can I do to keep them from dropping? Is there a setting I need to adjust? 

Thanks in advance for any help or insights you might have.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mouskowits71 wrote:

Hello,

I have an Orbi RBR50. I have a few smart devices like light bulbs that only use the 2.4GHz channel. None of them can stay connected to the mesh network regardless of how close they are to the base or satellites. What can I do to keep them from dropping? Is there a setting I need to adjust? 

Would you mind sharing the brand/model of devices that drop off the network?

Do the devices appear to connect correctly at first?

How long before they drop off the network?

Message 3 of 22
Mouskowits71
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast response. 

Yes, the firmware is up to date. The bulbs are now pretty much all in one room. What's weird is now I can't connect to any 2.4GHz bulbs except one. I reset the rest and tried reconnecting them, but no luck even getting them back onto the Orbi. I plugged in an old 2.4GHz router to the Orbi and that worked so I don't think it's the bulbs.

If that changes anything, please let me know.

In the meantime, I will definitely try each of your suggestions.

Message 4 of 22
Mouskowits71
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast response. 

The bulbs are now pretty much all in one room. What's weird is now I can't connect to any 2.4GHz bulbs except one. I reset the rest and tried reconnecting them, but no luck even getting them back onto the Orbi. I plugged in an old 2.4GHz Netgear router to the Orbi and that worked so I don't think it's the bulbs.

Oh, I just got some new bulbs just to be sure and they won't connect to the Orbi at all. They can connect to the Netgear (which is plugged into a satellite), but not the Orbi directly.

Message 5 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Would you mind sharing the brand and model of light bulb?

(and where you got them)

Message 6 of 22
Mouskowits71
Aspirant

They carry them at Best Buy (Kasa multicolor bulbs).

Message 7 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

I will get one tomorrow. I have never had issues with TP-Link. This will be fun!
Message 8 of 22
Mouskowits71
Aspirant

Oh, if you happen to test any Feit smart bulbs, please let me know. I saw some online and at Lowes hardware. I was considering them as an alternative.

Message 9 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

I am not the proud (?) owner of a pair of KASA TL130P2 (US) ver. 3.0 from Best Buy.

Screwed it into a socket. Opened KASA app.  "Added" smart bulb.  It seems (to me) that there were more "hiccups" than I had hoped for. The app had me turn the socket off and back on five times (I guess that means "reset".  Maybe it would have been more responsible to read the directions first. - - nah.)  After I 'named' the bulb, the KASA app said it was unavailable, but when I went back to the app home page, there it was.  Sort of fun changing the colors on the rainbox wheel.  My phone was connected to the Orbi at 5G.

I guess the challenge now is to wait for it to 'drop off'.  I have never had a problem with TP-Link KASA devices losing connectivity, but there is always a first time for everything.  I'll leave it plugged in for a day or so and see.

I actually already purchased a two pack of Feit BPA800 smart bulbs from Home Depot.  Work just fine on my Orbi.  I seem to recall that the Feit app was not as smooth as the TP-Link app (but it has been a couple of months).  My main complaint with Feit is that their outdoor rated smart plug has two outlets, but they are not 'separate'.  Either both on, or both off.  Every other outdoor plug I have purchased controlls the outlets separately.

I think we are back to "square one" as far as diagnosing the problem.

Message 10 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Just noticed my Typo from last night.  I am now (not 'not') in possession of a two pack of KASA bulbs.  Has been connected now for about 15 hours and still on line.  Enjoy changing the color and brightness from my phone.

The whole concept of "dropping off" bothers me.  If something has a strong enough signal to get connected to WiFi, I have trouble imagining what can cause that connection to be interrupted. Obviously it happens because people post about it all the time.  I cannot figure out (a) what might be causing it, or (b) why it never happens to me.

Message 11 of 22
Mouskowits71
Aspirant

I wish I were so lucky about the dropping off problem.

I borrowed a smart life outdoor plug. It has the same issue as the bulbs. It sees the Orbi, but it won't connect and times out. I can connect it to the Netgear though.

I tried each of the suggestions for the advanced settings without any difference. The one bulb that was connected on the Orbi is still connected.

Almost makes me think the one bulb absorbed all the signal. Is that possible? 

Possibly on a separate issue, I noticed if I walk around I also expected to switch between the base and satellite. That doesn't happen often and weirdly when there is a change, I often find that it's not the one I'm standing next to. 

Message 12 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

My Wyze outdoor plug will be here Friday or Saturday (Amazon willing).  Will connect it as soon as it arrives. (Hope there are not two versions of the outdoor plug!)

My devices definitely change from one Orbi unit to another.  It is really frustrating that such changes do not get recognized immediately.

There are a bunch of internal timers within the Orbi that wake up to do things.  For example, a process checks for new firmware every so often. Another process scans for connected devices.  I get really frustrated when my Orbi says my phone is connected to a satellite at 2.4G when I am sitting right next to the router and the phone says it is connected at 5G.  I want computers to knows things instantly, and it is obvious that they do not.

Message 13 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Darn Amazon. Outdoor plug not here yet.  On the other hand, that KASA color changing plug continues to stay on the Orbi WiFi network.

I remain puzzled as to why I would want to have a light bulb that changes colors. (Probably a lack of imagination.)  After the weekend, it will go into the "box of stuff" that works with Orbi WiFi and does not need 5G WiFi to be messed with in order for the device to work.

Message 14 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Wyze outdoor plug arrrived today. Plugged into wall. Opened Wyze app. Detected immediately and added. Total time under two minutes.

Get's a "Thumbs Up" from me.

Message 15 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

The Wyze user forum says that Wyze now sells only the V2 smart plug.  Went to Home Depot and got a pair. They have the "key" icon on the back, same as the outdoor plug.  Configured in under a minute.  Certainly wish more manufacturers would use the existing 2.4G radio chip and bluetooth to set up their devices.  At $10 ea, I would suggest that anyone who has commited to the Wyze app* consider replacing any V1 smart plugs with the new one.  Sure as s**t, I would totally forget that some of my Wyze plugs are "different" and go through nine kinds of hell trying to configure one in the future.   I certainly would not "gift" the V1 to anyone unless they deserve some frustration.

* Like a dummy, I have 'standardized' on KASA smart plugs and Wyze cheap cameras, so I have two apps on my home page.

Message 16 of 22
GravelKicker
Aspirant

I had issues connecting smart plugs to Orbi and found a solution.

Go to orbilogin.com and turn off “Enable 5G” from Wireless Settings in Advance.

Install smart plug normally.

Go back to Wireless Settings and enable 5G.
Message 17 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@GravelKicker wrote:
I had issues connecting smart plugs to Orbi and found a solution.
Go to orbilogin.com and turn off “Enable 5G” from Wireless Settings in Advance.

You are correct that this is a great solution for owners of the Original Orbi product (RBR50, RBR40, RBR20).  What that action does is stop the Orbi from broadcasting the SSID on the 5G channel.  The 5G channel continues to operate and all devices connected to the 5G channel continue to operate.

Alas, Netgear removed this option from the AX product line. (Boo, Hiss).  So people who are purchasing Orbi's these days cannot take advantage of this method.

I have used this method several times in the past. Works great.  Sad that customers who bought the newer Orbi's cannot use the same method.

Message 18 of 22
GravelKicker
Aspirant

I should have noted I purchased this setup and was able to find the solution:

NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK752) – Router with 1 Satellite Extender | Coverage up to 5,000 sq. ft., 40 Devices | AX4200 (Up to 4.2Gbps)
Message 19 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

This is SO COOL.  There have been numerous posts complaining that the AX (750) product did not allow users to disable broadcasting the SSID on 5G*.  Can you post a screen shot of the Advanced Wireless page?

*It is embarassing to post things that are not correct.  I need to revise my advice about a lot of things.

Message 20 of 22
GravelKicker
Aspirant

All good. I hope this solution helps others. Here’s a screenshot showing where to toggle the ‘Enable 5G’ off/on.

Message 21 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for posting the screen shot.  Alas, this appears to enable/disable the "ax" feature, not disable the 5G WiFi network.

I have never heard of an Internet of Things (IoT) devices having a WiFi chip capable of 802.11ax, so this feature being enabled or disabled should have no effect on IoT devices.

If it worked for you... great.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series