× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Disconnects random devices throughout the day

JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 - Disconnects random devices throughout the day

We have the Orbi RBR50 along with the

Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem Model: MB8600

Things have been working just grand for months and months...but the last few days multiple devices will lose internet (PC, Ipad, iphone) for a few minutes, then reconnect.  Then disconnect...then reconnect.  Makes working from home superb.

I've rebooted the router multiple times, and multiple ways.  Via app, unplug, wait...plug back in.  Confirmed all firmware all up to date.  Just trying to pinpoint where the issue is. 

Orbi Firmware: v2.7.4.24

Others in the neighborhood also on xfinity internet are fine.

How can I best troubleshoot where the issue might be? 

I'm sitting right next to the Orbi and the router...like 5 feet away. 

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JC-Corcoran ,

Thank you for the update!

The current firmware version 2.7.5.4 does not show up since it is an optional update that has been proven to help several users with interim network compatibility issues. However, the firmware version 2.7.5.4 is still an optional update. Since the RBR50 firmware version 2.7.4.24 is not an optional update, your RBR50 will think that it has the most recent update installed because it has the most recent mandatory update installed.  

Please keep us updated on the progress of this issue!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 23

All Replies
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JC-Corcoran ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are experiencing intermittent network disconnects when using your iOS devices. This may be due to the "private IP address" feature that comes standard with iOS devices. Please turn off your private IP address if you are using an iOS device to resolve this issue.

To turn off the Private IP address please follow the directions listed below:

Open "Settings"
"Wi-Fi"
Select the "i" icon next to your connected network
Toggle off "Private Wi-Fi Address"

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 2 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Tried that for the IOS. no go.

I have ok luck while sitting in the room with the router. If I go elsewhere in the house it disconnects.
Message 3 of 23
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JC-Corcoran ,

Thank you for the additional information!

I understand that your last post stated that your RBR50 is currently on firmware version 2.7.2.4. Please update your router to the most current firmware for your device which is firmware version 2.7.5.4.

Please navigate to the link below for the current firmware download file for your RBR50: 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

For step-by-step instructions on how to manually update your RBK50 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Ahhh! Great catch. I will try that. Thanks for the links. If I try to update it through app it scans then says I have the latest update. I will get on my computer and do the manual update. Fingers crossed! I’ll post an update once I complete that and test it out!
Message 5 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

I guess the last question I have is, can you explain why even when I go online to Orbi it says I have the most current firmware? Why do I have to do this manually? Why doesn’t Orbi already have the firmware available?
Message 6 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Updating now. Didn’t realize the “image” file was the one to use. Fingers crossed!
Message 7 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

@JC-Corcoran wrote:
I guess the last question I have is, can you explain why even when I go online to Orbi it says I have the most current firmware? Why do I have to do this manually? Why doesn’t Orbi already have the firmware available?

"Why?" is a question for which we have no answer.  We I have observed over the years is:

• New firmware appears on the support web site, where eager users who are actively watching the web site notice it, download it, and manually update their systems.  They often post on the forum describing the results (some positive, some negative).  On at least one occasion, the negative comments have been so severe that the new firmware disappeared from the support web site.
  • During this period, the Orbi Firmware Update function does not detect the new firmware.
  • At some point, something is changed in the update process so that users who open the Firmware Update function on their routers are informed that new firmware is available and offered the opportunity to download it.  This can be a period of weeks.... or longer.  Firmware for the original RBR50 was updated in February, 2023, and the Firmware Update process has yet to recognize it.
  • At another point in time, any time the user opens the Orbi app or the Orbi web interface, a notice pops up, "New Firmware", definitely encouraging users to update.
  • At yet another point in time, the firmware is quietly pushed to the router in the middle of the night. (This has happened to me.)  On at least one occasion, Netgear pushed new firmware which locked users out of the Orbi app and the Orbi web interface.  Was a huge fiasco.  (Glad my old RBR50 was not affected.)

I am sure this all makes sense to somebody.

Message 8 of 23
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JC-Corcoran ,

The current firmware version 2.7.5.4 does not show up since it is an optional update that has been proven to help several users with interim network compatibility issues. However, the firmware version 2.7.5.4 is still an optional update. Since the RBR50 firmware version 2.7.4.24 is not an optional update, your RBR50 will think that it has the most recent update installed because it has the most recent mandatory update installed.  

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 9 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

I think this did the trick!! I am so relieved.

I do appreciate your extremely thorough replies and explanations! So good to know!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
Message 10 of 23
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JC-Corcoran ,

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Best, 

Kevin

Community Team

Message 11 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Hi again all... @KevinLiT  @CrimpOn 

Welp...I thought all of that did the trick.  My IPAD for one, seems to work throughout the house now.  That device seems to be resolved for the moment.  My iphone is NOT staying connected to Wifi unless I'm in the room with the Orbi.  Also my work computer is not staying connected to the Orbi unless I'm in the room with the Orbi.

So, prior to all of this, (couple weeks back) things have been working just fine with all devices, all rooms in the house.  We did add two new cameras to our "Arlo" system, but then have since removed them.  That was the only technical change recently....then all the sudden we started having issues with things dropping...which is why I originally came on here and got advise to update the firmware...which I THOUGHT did the trick...but it's back to it's old games.

But now, when I leave the room with the router and move to a room with a satellite...my phone and computer both drop wifi.  Ipad stays connected.

So - I guess I'm looking for next steps on things to check/do.

Currently have Orbi RBR50

Firmware version now:  V2.7.5.4

Motorola Modem:  DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem - Model: MB8600

When I'm sitting in the room with the modem and Router, I can check the Orbi app and it shows my work computer is connected to the Router via 2.4G Wifi...but then I check again and it is all the sudden on the 5G Wifi.

My phone while sitting in this room is connected to our Kitchen Satellite Orbi...5G, but then switches back to the Router at 5G.

All while just sitting here.

If I get up and move to the kitchen that has the Kitchen Satellite - my work computer automatically drops wifi, as does my phone.

So sitting in the room with the Modem and Router, everything is good.

Ipad seems to work ok throughout the house (this was not working previously)

It is only working in the room with the router now.

Any suggestions for next steps here?  I did also do an unplug of the router, then modem...waited...plugged back in the modem...then plugged back in the router.  

Message 12 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Which specific model of iPhone and laptop?

It is not unusual for Attached Devices to report that a phone is connected at 2.4G and later report it is connected at 5G.

When I pull into the driveway, my phone connects almost immediately to a satellite in the garage at 2.4G.  After I enter the house and sit here at the computer about four feet from the router, the phone changes to a 5G connection to the router.

There are two different processes going on at the same time:

• The phone constantly searches for "a better connection".  It was looking for WiFi all the time I was away from home and not finding a WiFi network that it knew the password for.  When I got close enough, the phone detected WiFi that it could connect to and did so.  The signal was weak, so the connection was at 2.4G.  Once I was inside, the phone eventually connected to the base router at 5G.
  • The Orbi system updates the information about connected devices using a process that runs on a schedule.  Thus, the 2.4G entry remained for the Attached Devices web page to display for some time and then got updated later. We expect computers to update instantly, but that is not always the case.

Technically, it is possible to observe the phone switching connections, but it requires setting up a process to capture the WiFi management frames to record when devices associate with WiFi access points.

This, however, does not explain why a WiFi device would totally drop WiFi when moving from one Orbi unit to another.

How far apart are the router and satellite?  What building construction is in the path between them?

Message 13 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation on 2.4 vs 5.

All devices,2 iPhones (XIII), 2 iPads, Dell Latitude computer L154-HVWXSV3

Router to kitchen satellite = 34 feet. Same floor. 3 walls…regular house. Wood/sheetrock.

Router to upstairs satellite is just a floor difference. So, wood, plywood, typical house flooring…
Message 14 of 23
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JC-Corcoran

Are you using a satellite paired with your RBR50?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 15 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Yes. We have two satellites
Message 16 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

These devices all support WiFi6 (802.11ax), which the RBR50 does not.

On the laptop, it should be possible to into the WiFi adapter settings and tell it not to use 802.11ax. Could you try that and see if it makes any difference?

(I have no idea what iPhones allow users to do with WiFi settings)

Message 17 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Interesting…I’m pretty locked down with it being a work issued computer. I don’t have many admin rights. Will see what I can finagle.

So, are we thinking something changed recently with the Router or the devices? Everything was working without issues a couple weeks back and months prior to that. Just a recent issue.
Message 18 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

Work computer. could very well restrict what the user can do to network adapter settings.

Normally, the first question is, "what changed?"  With Apple devices it is often software updates.

So these devices used to be able to roam around the house with no problem, but now cannot?

No other WiFi devices in the house are having disconnection issues?

Message 19 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Currently all WiFi devices are having issues when moving away from the base station. They all were fine couple weeks ago.
Phones are both same model
iPads are completely different models, but likely same IOS update
But computer experienced same issue as well.

All at the same time.
Message 20 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

I should add…our Alexa devices as well as our security cameras all seem to work seamlessly with the WiFi. And they are throughout the house/outdoors
Message 21 of 23
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JC-Corcoran ,

Orbi users notice issues when moving from the router's network to the satellite's network when the satellite and router are placed too close to each other. Please move your first satellite further away from your router. 

Please try the suggested troubleshooting method listed below:

• Turn off your second satellite. 
  • Then move your first satellite to the position of your second satellite (If you are unable to get to the position of your second satellite please get as close as possible to that second satellite position. ).
  • Now use your network as normal mainly checking your reported network problem areas (Also please ensure that your RBS50's are on the same firmare as your RBR50).

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 22 of 23
JC-Corcoran
Aspirant

Hi Kevin - 

Thanks again for the response.  I followed your steps below and it did resolve some of our dead zones.  So, that was refreshing.

Both of the RBS50's  are on the same firmware,  Currently testing out with just one satellite plugged in, however still have other dead zones.

Jill

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7