Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50- and better antenna

Buckshot
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50- and better antenna

Anyone tried or successfully add an antenna on the orbi?

if so, can you show what you did.

thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Antennas are internal and built into the board of the Orbi. Can't get to the board with out dismantling the case. 

Message 2 of 5
Buckshot
Aspirant

Thanks.....

just figured I’ve had my orbi about years, our of warranty and support and thought maybe there was someone that may have taken apart and tried to put on better antenna.

the closest I can get my satellite is 42 feet from the rbr50 and my cameras drop off all the time.

i know it’s the 42 foot distance as I’ve connected a long cat 5 and electric and stepped out rbr50 to get closer and I get to 28 to 32 feet and things don’t drop.

so I know there’s other routers out there with much better antenna.... so, figured that would be something I’d try before going another route (buying some other brand of router)

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

This web site has a nice picture of the Orbi RBR50 antennas:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Understanding-Orbi-Radio-Fronthaul-Backhaul/m-p/1671092

The four at the top are the 5G "backhaul" antennas which connect the satellite to the RBR50 router.  As far as I can determine, they do not have typical antenna connectors, but are soldered directly to the board.  Any number of WiFi devices have antennas that can be replaced (the Nighthawk R7000 comes to mind.)  Orbi.... not likely.

If running an ethernet cable is seriously inconvenient, one could look into Powerline to connect the satellite to the router.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

So you trying to get the RBS closer to the RBR? Typically getting farther away is perferred. Others have posted that 30 seems to be a beginning starting point for RBS away from the RBR. Any closer, depending upon building materials, can produce bad results and operation as the wifi foot print is being over lapped too much. I've had my one RBS out at 40 feet with no problems. Others have reported 50 and 60 feet. Also others have reported having up to 6 RBS connected to 1 RBR. 

Seems like this maybe a configuration and placement issue with your system.

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Buckshot wrote:

Thanks.....

just figured I’ve had my orbi about years, our of warranty and support and thought maybe there was someone that may have taken apart and tried to put on better antenna.

the closest I can get my satellite is 42 feet from the rbr50 and my cameras drop off all the time.

i know it’s the 42 foot distance as I’ve connected a long cat 5 and electric and stepped out rbr50 to get closer and I get to 28 to 32 feet and things don’t drop.

so I know there’s other routers out there with much better antenna.... so, figured that would be something I’d try before going another route (buying some other brand of router)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7