× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 with RBS50 configuration no longer working with Samsung Series 7 and Series 9 Smart TVs

KRS321
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 with RBS50 configuration no longer working with Samsung Series 7 and Series 9 Smart TVs

I've been using the Orbi RBR50 / RBS50 system in my house for two years.  Our phones and computers have always worked fine as well as my Samsung Series 9 TV. Occasionally, my Samsung series 7 would loose it's connection, but unplugging it has always worked fine.  Recently, Spectrum gave me a new modem and router, but I wanted to continue using my Orbi system.  Everything (phones, computers) are up and running but neither TV is working now.  I've updated firmware on TVs and Orbi,  unplugged everything and rebooted systems but the tvs still won't connect.  Changed the DNS address to static as advised but with no success.  I've even done a factory reset on the TVs!  When I run a diagnostic on the TV I get an ISP Blocking error 202.  I've contacted Spectrum twice and they say the problem is with the Orbi.  I can't understand why the Orbi system would suddenly stop working for just the Samsung TVs.  If anyone has a suggestion, I would welcome the help!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 with RBS50 configuration no longer working with Samsung Series 7 and Series 9 Smart T

What did you have previously from Spectrum?  (brand and model)

Orbi is a "WiFi Router".  That is, the Orbi is a router that also functions as a WiFi access point.

If Spectrum provided two pieces of equipment: a modem and a router, I would suggest

• remove the router
  • power off the modem and the Orbi
  • connect the Orbi yellow (WAN) port directly to the modem
  • wait for the modem to stabilize (minimum 2-3 minutes)
  • power up the Orbi

What equpment did Spectrum provide now?

Message 2 of 7
KRS321
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 with RBS50 configuration no longer working with Samsung Series 7 and Series 9 Smart T

Honestly, I don't remember the brand of modem we had earlier, but it was provided by Brighthouse before Spectrum bought them out. This new modem is Spectrum's own brand, model E 31 T2V 1. 

I have taken all the steps you recommended, but the TVs still don't work.  I don't want to use their router because I have dead zones in my home that only the Orbi system can successfully reach.  The Orbi router is plugged directly into the Spectrum modem.  Everything in the house can receive a WiFi signal except for the Samsung TVs: Series 7 | Model UN40KU7000; Series 9 | Model UN55KS9500.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try something, disable the WPA security mode on the RBR temporarily. Set it to OPEN. Now see if any one of your TVs will connect to the wifi SSID name. Let us know if they do. 

After checking, set the WPA mode back to WPA2 and AES only. 

Ensure your TVs firmware is up to date as well. Check with the Mfr for this. 

@KRS321 wrote:

Honestly, I don't remember the brand of modem we had earlier, but it was provided by Brighthouse before Spectrum bought them out. This new modem is Spectrum's own brand, model E 31 T2V 1. 

I have taken all the steps you recommended, but the TVs still don't work.  I don't want to use their router because I have dead zones in my home that only the Orbi system can successfully reach.  The Orbi router is plugged directly into the Spectrum modem.  Everything in the house can receive a WiFi signal except for the Samsung TVs: Series 7 | Model UN40KU7000; Series 9 | Model UN55KS9500.

Message 4 of 7
KRS321
Aspirant

I didn't have an OPEN option, but set it to NONE and tried to sign on with both TVs.  They both "see" the orbi and say they are connected but Prime and Netflix won't load.  Tried rebooting everything (modem, router, tvs) and I get the same result.  I'm also not able to select WPA2 and AES only.  My choices are WPA2-PSK; WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK; or WPA2-PSK (GCMP).  I've confirmed that the firmware is up to date on all tvs and on my orbi system.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@KRS321 wrote:

Honestly, I don't remember the brand of modem we had earlier, but it was provided by Brighthouse before Spectrum bought them out. This new modem is Spectrum's own brand, model E 31 T2V 1.   This is the model Sprectrum provided to me.  It is a "modem only" and is connected directly to my Orbi.

@KRS321 wrote:

I didn't have an OPEN option, but set it to NONE and tried to sign on with both TVs.  They both "see" the orbi and say they are connected but Prime and Netflix won't load.  Tried rebooting everything (modem, router, tvs) and I get the same result.

There have been posts in the past about Samsung TV's and "202" error.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Samsung-tv-over-wifi-connection-error-202/td... 

This one recommended changing DNS to Google: 8.8.8.8

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/samsung-smart-tv-unable-to-connect-to-internet-suddenly-6370... 

The more I search, the more hits turn up. "Oh, Dear."

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with Samsung and see if there is any information or help regarding this. Seems like this is a Samsung issue. 

@KRS321 wrote:

I didn't have an OPEN option, but set it to NONE and tried to sign on with both TVs.  They both "see" the orbi and say they are connected but Prime and Netflix won't load.  Tried rebooting everything (modem, router, tvs) and I get the same result.  I'm also not able to select WPA2 and AES only.  My choices are WPA2-PSK; WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK; or WPA2-PSK (GCMP).  I've confirmed that the firmware is up to date on all tvs and on my orbi system.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7