Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Rbr20 Ethernet not working

kotton
Aspirant

Orbi Rbr20 Ethernet not working

I've got an rbr20 with 2 satellites that all work fine on WiFi. I used to have a home NAS connected via the Ethernet port that also worked fine.
Now when I try to use anything else on the Ethernet port, like the security camera NVR or a laptop, I can't get internet through those attached devices. I've tried 3 different Ethernet cables. WiFi always works.
Any help appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the RBR for 30 seconds with a wired PC connected to the RBR then turned the RBR back ON?

Do all ports not work? 

Swapped LAN cables for good quality or known working cables? CAT6 is recommended. 

Be sure your devices are set for networking configuration to automatic obtain IP addressing and not static IP addressing ON your devices. 

Message 2 of 8
kotton
Aspirant

Tried that and no luck. The laptop is Windows 10. It recognises that the Ethernet is connected but says "unknown connection"
Is there some settings in the Orbi that I need to change? Can you get internet via the WiFi and the Ethernet at the same time?
I can't understand why I could just plug my NAS into the Ethernet and it worked out of the box but nothing else seems to be able to get internet via the Ethernet port?
Message 3 of 8
kotton
Aspirant

Anyone have any suggestions?
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support to see what your options are...

Message 5 of 8
kotton
Aspirant

Contacted them already. As it's past 90 days since I purchased it I have to sign up and pay for any help. They suggested I try here.
Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@kotton wrote:
Tried that and no luck. The laptop is Windows 10. It recognises that the Ethernet is connected but says "unknown connection"
Is there some settings in the Orbi that I need to change? Can you get internet via the WiFi and the Ethernet at the same time?
I can't understand why I could just plug my NAS into the Ethernet and it worked out of the box but nothing else seems to be able to get internet via the Ethernet port?

I have a Windows 10 laptop that does something similar. ("unknown connection")

What I have been doing is go into the Control Panel, Network Settings, "Disable" the ethernet adapter, then "Enable" it.

Hot Damn.  NOW it sees the Orbi.

Eventually I will have to figure out why this is happening. For now, it's just "disable - enable" and get on with life.

Message 7 of 8
kotton
Aspirant

Interesting. I'll try that. But what I really need is for the security camera NVR to connect.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7