Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Rbr50 and rbs50 keeps disconnecting

Cheekymuppet
Aspirant

Orbi Rbr50 and rbs50 keeps disconnecting

Hi

I have an rbr50 on the 2’d floor of my house, with an rbs50 (satellite-1) on the first floor and another rbs50 (satellite-2) on the ground floor. Satellite-2 connects to the router and initially has a good backhaul signal for about 12-24 hours, at this point the connection then goes to poor and finally disconnects completely.

I don’t understand a) why the connection just ‘deteriorates’ and also why satellite-2 doesn’t connect to satellite-1 in a daisy chain configuration because they are much closer together...

Any help is greatly appreciated as it’s starting to get very frustrating !!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
ekhalil
Master

I don't think that Daisy Chain is working as it should in this software (2.2.1.210). I hope Netgear will fix this in the coming releases.

On the other hand, have you done a wifi scan around Satellite-2 to see the strangths of the backhaul signals coming from the Router and Satellite-1?

Radio is tricky, it's not only the distance which affects the propagation of radio signals.

Message 2 of 9
Cheekymuppet
Aspirant

Thanks for replying...

I’m using firmware 2.1.4.16 as I downgraded as many people said the latest firmware didn’t work with daisy chaining (should have stated this before).

How would I scan for the backhaul channel?
Message 3 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Cheekymuppet wrote:
How would I scan for the backhaul channel?

If you have a Macbook it has a built-in scanner. If you have an iPhone you can download the Apple Airport app which has a built-in scanner (even if your don't have Airport routers). I'm also sure there are also other apps for Android and Windows.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Cheekymuppet wrote:
Hi

I have an rbr50 on the 2’d floor of my house, with an rbs50 (satellite-1) on the first floor and another rbs50 (satellite-2) on the ground floor. Satellite-2 connects to the router and initially has a good backhaul signal for about 12-24 hours, at this point the connection then goes to poor and finally disconnects completely.

I don’t understand a) why the connection just ‘deteriorates’ and also why satellite-2 doesn’t connect to satellite-1 in a daisy chain configuration because they are much closer together...

Any help is greatly appreciated as it’s starting to get very frustrating !!

Message 5 of 9
Cheekymuppet
Aspirant

Hi

The distance between the router and satellite-1 is about 15 to 20 feet, then satellite-1 to satellite-2 is about 15 feet.  The walls in the house are all solid brick walls, hence why they are closer.

I've been using channel 11 for 2.4 Ghz network and 36 for the 5Ghz one, channel 11 is clear after doing a wifi scan, but just moved 5Ghz to channel 40 as thats clear. so will see if that helps.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
Cheekymuppet
Aspirant

Sorry, just to add...

When I reboot satellite-2, which this morning isn't connected, it will reconnect to the router, not satellite-1 (even though its closer) and will show a 'Good' backhaul status for about 24 hours, and then it just drops... I don't understand why it would be a good signal on reconnection but then without any of the devices moving the signal degrades nad then eventually disconnects...

Message 7 of 9
ekhalil
Master

The backhaul links use the higher channels in the 5GHz band and not channels 36,40,44 and 48 which you choose in the wireless settings.
Those higher channels are DFS channels (Dynamic Frequency Selection), that is they share same frequency with radar systems. Wifi devices have to change frequency if it detects a radar signal on the same used channel.
It can be that there are radar signals coming at certain times of the day that affects your backhaul links and gets them disconnected.
I think that you need Daisy Chain to be properly working for your setup to function unless you have the possibility to move the router to the middle instead of Satellite 1.
I hope that Netgear will fix Daisy Chain soon as I think it’s an important functionality for those using wireless backhaul.
Message 8 of 9
Cheekymuppet
Aspirant

Thanks!

Sadly it seems like my best answer is to find an alternative solution as my network is dropping every day! This is exceptionally frustrating as it used to work previously, so arguably my setup is now not fit for purpose...
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7