Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Remote Management trouble

Pflipper
Aspirant

Orbi Remote Management trouble

Hi,

I want to set up my Orbi to be accessed and managed remotely.  Is this possible?  I am trying the Netgear genie desktop app for my PC, and it keeps failing, " NETGEAR Genie has stopped working, Windows will close program...".  Hitting a wall any way I try to attempt this.  Help!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11
st_shaw
Master

Try to set it up by logging into the Orbi's admin GUI at the IP address of the router.

Message 2 of 11
Pflipper
Aspirant

Yep, software still blows a fuse when I open it.  I attached to network, logged into the Orbi admin GUI.  Genie Software still fails.

Other thoughts?

Message 3 of 11
Pflipper
Aspirant

Just tried to reinstall the software from this site:

https://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

When I opened the software, same issue.  I am all up to date with Windows 10 updates as of Nov 1, 2017.

Anyone out there have thoughts on why this is happening.   Is the software useless?

Message 4 of 11
st_shaw
Master

I guess what I wrote wasn’t clear. I meant you should use the Orbi GUI to setup remote access and management. I would forget about the Genie. I never use it myself.
Message 5 of 11
Pflipper
Aspirant

OK - what is the "Orbi GUI" you are talking about.  Is it a desktop app?  I have the Orbi mobile app, and there is no remote management tool.  Are you saying that I need to plug into the Orbi using an ethernet cable from my laptop and open something on the actual device in order to set up a way I can remotely access the Orbi.  More specific information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Pflipper wrote:

OK - what is the "Orbi GUI" you are talking about.  Is it a desktop app?  I have the Orbi mobile app, and there is no remote management tool.  Are you saying that I need to plug into the Orbi using an ethernet cable from my laptop and open something on the actual device in order to set up a way I can remotely access the Orbi.  More specific information would be helpful.

Thanks!

The Orbi GUI runs on the built in Orbi web server and can be accessed via a web browser. 

Message 7 of 11
Pflipper
Aspirant

So,  specifics... "can be accessed via a web browser".  So can most anything connected to the internet.   If you are familiar with navigating to this, it seems so apparent, so simple.  If you are unfamiliar (like me) with navigating to this and setting up things on the Orbi, you either need a good instructions (which doesn't seem to be available) or clearer direction. 

Is the Orbi web server you are referencing found at "http://orbilogin.net".  I can access that, go to the advanced tab, look at remote mangement, but what to I need to set up exactly.  I have a laptop I want to use to access my Orbi network remotely.   I'm guessing that I select "Turn on remote managment", then click on "Only this computer", but then it is asking me for my IP address.  When I access a network from a remote location, isn't this going to change depending upon where I am?  Is so, how is selecting an IP address going to help.  If I select "allow access from everyone", then I am opening up a path to my Orbi to everyone that is going to be less secure.  Again, this may be simple to you if you've set it up before, but it would be more helpful to me to get either direction of better instructions from Netgear.

Thanks for any additional help!

Message 8 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Pflipper wrote:

So,  specifics... "can be accessed via a web browser".  So can most anything connected to the internet.   If you are familiar with navigating to this, it seems so apparent, so simple.  If you are unfamiliar (like me) with navigating to this and setting up things on the Orbi, you either need a good instructions (which doesn't seem to be available) or clearer direction. 

Is the Orbi web server you are referencing found at "http://orbilogin.net".  I can access that, go to the advanced tab, look at remote mangement, but what to I need to set up exactly.  I have a laptop I want to use to access my Orbi network remotely.   I'm guessing that I select "Turn on remote managment", then click on "Only this computer", but then it is asking me for my IP address.  When I access a network from a remote location, isn't this going to change depending upon where I am?  Is so, how is selecting an IP address going to help.  If I select "allow access from everyone", then I am opening up a path to my Orbi to everyone that is going to be less secure.  Again, this may be simple to you if you've set it up before, but it would be more helpful to me to get either direction of better instructions from Netgear.

Thanks for any additional help!

I would advise you not use remote management.

Message 9 of 11
Pflipper
Aspirant

"I would advise you not use remote management."

Reason?

Message 10 of 11
martinhj
Apprentice

What you say is correct.If you enable remote management then anyone can access your Orbi if they know our admin username and password, hence the instruction to change the password to something secure. And also the instruction to change the port. But anyone who scans your ports would find it and then possibly be able to get into it if they can guess your username/password. You are right that you can restrict this to particular IP address or range but that would change depending where you login from. Unless you really need remote management I would NOT enable it and work on your theory that you have obviously thought about of less is best.

if you really want remote access maybe a better option would be to configure the orbi to allow VPN access (User manual Chapter 9 - Use VPN to Access Your Network) .This wasyy you have the added level of security of the VPN tunnel negotiation being more than just a simple username/password pair. Ou get the benefit of then being able to logon to your home network remotely as if you were connected at home. You could argue having a means of accessing your whole network is worse but if someone has found a route into your router they afre going to be able to see all your network devices and open u our router anyhow. If someone really wants to get in they will do.

The downside of the vpn is that you may not be able to access your home network via vpn depending where you are if the remote network ou are attached to (eg our workplace) blocks the ports used b the vpn. But then that would probabl also block your standard remote access unless you use the standard http or https port anyhow.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7