Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite connected, but no data

Bdeutsch22
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite connected, but no data

My Orbi satellite show on my network map and full signal on my devices, but when I and linked to my satellite, no data can be transferred( cannot load YouTube / webpage)

As soon as I turn it off and my device jumps to the main router.... no problems.

I’ve tried to re-sync several times. I turns “blue” and pops back on as if it is working, but again... no data.

Please advise
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 11
Bdeutsch22
Aspirant

PS. I have had this system for 2 years without issue. This is NOT a new set up

Thanks for your help!
Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

A. What firmware is the satellite on?

B. Have you tried doing a factory reset of the device? 

Message 3 of 11
Bdeutsch22
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

I did to a factory reset.

Where would I find/ update my firmware?
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Just type in the model of the RBS### and this will pull up it's web page with downloads. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

@Bdeutsch22 wrote:
Thank you for your response.

I did to a factory reset.

Where would I find/ update my firmware?

Firmware update would be under ADVANCED->ADMINISTRATION->FIRMWARE UPDATE.

There's a manual update option there if you decide to go that route 

Message 6 of 11
Bdeutsch22
Aspirant

I found that my firmware on my satellite is not up to date, but my router firmware is updated.

This appears to be the issue.

Now I cannot get a successful update of the satellite firmware . I have tried automatically and manually, with and without hardwiring.

Any suggestions?
Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

Have you tried logging into the satellite specifically and updating from the satellite's own gui? The attached devices page will show the ip address for the satellite. You can log in there and do the manual update procedure.  

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure you have the RBS FW file already on a PC.

You have to LAN wire connect a PC to the back of the satellite. 

Press the reset button and hold it in until the top led shows AMBER or start Blinking WHITE. Then let go. 

Give about 5 minutes for the RBS to come to ready. The top led will slowly pulsate WHITE. 

It may take longer however look at your network status on the PC. It won't show immediately however after a bit, it should get a IP address of 192.168.1.something. The gateway should be 192.168.1.254 or .250.

Which ever number is the gateway, use that address in a web browser while connected to the RBS to access it's web page. Then upgrade the RBS from here. 

@Bdeutsch22 wrote:
I found that my firmware on my satellite is not up to date, but my router firmware is updated.

This appears to be the issue.

Now I cannot get a successful update of the satellite firmware . I have tried automatically and manually, with and without hardwiring.

Any suggestions?

Message 9 of 11
Bdeutsch22
Aspirant

Well... your recommendation on the firmware update worked like a charm!!.... successfully updated the firmware on the satellite.

HOWEVER... I still have the same issue, if I’m in range of the satellite... no data.

I’m about to give up and just buy a new satellite, but it is about the same price as a new system($275 vs $299)

Thoughts?
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Even after a factory reset on the RBS and re-add there is NO data at the satellite? Even with a wired PC or laptop? 

If so, I would file a support ticket as it seems that the RBS needs to be replaced. Ask for an RMA:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Bdeutsch22 wrote:
Well... your recommendation on the firmware update worked like a charm!!.... successfully updated the firmware on the satellite.

HOWEVER... I still have the same issue, if I’m in range of the satellite... no data.

I’m about to give up and just buy a new satellite, but it is about the same price as a new system($275 vs $299)

Thoughts?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7