Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite set up its own SSID

kaydeeloo
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite set up its own SSID

I have had an Orbi router and a wall plug in satellite for a few years. I added a new plug in satellite a few weeks ago (original one is named Satellite-1, new one is Satellite-2). I have been checking the "Attached Devices" and it didn't seem like anything was connecting to the new satellite, Sat-2. Now, I've discovered that it created a new network connection for it. For instance, I connect everything on wifi to ORBI-66 with a password. Now there are two ORBI-66 wifi connections, one is password protected and one is open. I connected my phone to the open one, and it is now connected to Sat-2. Why is Sat-2 on it's own SSID and it's open?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

Multiple hard resets (with a paper clip) and multiple satellite moves and it's fixed. The two extra networks are gone and devices are attaching to both satellites.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded on the RBR and RBSs?

The default SSID name is being used because the RBS didn't sync correctly or has not been sync'd to the RBR. Be sure you press the sync button on the RBR then on the RBS. 

Ensure FW is the same version between the RBR and RBS. 

Message 2 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

all firmware shows up to date. I'll try to re-sync it though and get back to you!

RBR40: V2.3.4.30.

RBW30-Sat 1: V2.3.0.4.

RBW30-Sat 2: V2.3.5.6

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

RBW 1 is behind on FW. You can manually download FW and update it. 

Message 4 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

OK, so I downloaded the new FW. When I browse and try to upload it, it says "please assign the correct file. The file format is .img" - the file I downloaded is .chk. What now? Woman Embarassed 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

RBW 1 is behind on FW. You can manually download FW and update it. 

Message 5 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you try opening the web page of the RBW30 satellite itself?

i.e. find the IP of the satellite, then http://<ip of satellite>

Update Firmware should be on the satellite web home page.

Yes, it is truly bizzare that Netgear engineers used a different file extension for some products.

Message 6 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

OK, opening the page to the satellite worked (I wouldn't have known how without your i.e., so thanks for that). Thank you to both of you for that instruction @FURRYe38 @CrimpOn . So my firmware is now updated, but the syncing of Sat 2 isn't going well. It's still adding it's own SSID and now has a Poor backhaul status. I have no idea what that means. -- I've tried three ways to sync: 1) via the app (worked, but set up a 2nd SSID again), via the orblilogin.com page (didn't connect the devices), via the manual way of pushing the sync buttons on both the device and the router (didn't connect). I'm going to next try unplugging Sat 2 for 15 minutes and pressing the reset button. If you have other ideas, I'd love to have them. Thank you!

@CrimpOn wrote:

Did you try opening the web page of the RBW30 satellite itself?

i.e. find the IP of the satellite, then http://<ip of satellite>

Update Firmware should be on the satellite web home page.

Yes, it is truly bizzare that Netgear engineers used a different file extension for some products.

Message 7 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

@CrimpOn @FURRYe38 I synced this time by pushing the button on the router then the satellite, and it worked this time. I was pressing them in the wrong order before. Now, Sat-2 is reconnected, poor backhaul and still a second SSID of ORBI66, open and unsecured.

Message 8 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@kaydeeloo wrote:

I added a new plug in satellite a few weeks ago

If this is a new purchase, when the product is registered on the Netgear web site, there is a link on the registration page to "support."  Netgear includes in the purchase price 90 days of "complimentary support".  It may be time to register this new satellite and give them a call.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try syncing this one satellite-2 while near the RBR? Like in a same room with the RBR?

With the other satellite turned OFF? 

@kaydeeloo wrote:

I synced this time by pushing the button on the router then the satellite, and it worked this time. I was pressing them in the wrong order before. Now, Sat-2 is reconnected, poor backhaul and still a second SSID of ORBI66, open and unsecured.

Message 10 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  I have connected and disconnected, and synced several times with both satellites, same rooms and different rooms. I've still got the same two SSIDs, ORBI66 secure and ORBI66 unsecure. Plus now I realize that I also have ORBI51 secure, and I see that my newest Sat-2 says ORBI51 on the back. ORBI51 was showing up before, but I thought it was a neighbor's router and that all of mine were on ORBI66. So now I have a new issue. I want to be able to log in on ORBI66 (with no unsecure connections) and have all of my devices connect to the different satellites as needed. The way it's set up now, I have to log in to either 66 secure, 66 unsecure, or 51 secure. I'm too uneducated in this arena to figure this out on my own!!

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you get the one RBS replaced. 

Message 12 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

OK, will do! I just ordered a new one actually. Do you have any quick words of advice on how to set it up to keep it on the old network instead of having it set up a new one? I really appreciate your help. The new RBS will be here tomorrow.

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The new unit should setup and sync to what you have set currently on the RBR. I would get the FW on the new unit updated as well. Hopefully it might be already up to date or close. 

Message 14 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

Hi, so it's me again. Woman Frustrated I have figured out why it's happening, I just don't know how to fix it. I'll call Tech Support tomorrow, but I thought I'd circle back to you. Here is the issue. Webpage for Sat 1, shows both 2.4 & 5 GHz connections on the ORBI66, Security Type PA2-PSK[AES]. Webpage for Sat 2, shows 2.4 on ORBI51, Security Type WPA2-PSK[AES] and 5 GHz on ORBI66, Security Type None. Thanks for your help today!

Message 15 of 17
kaydeeloo
Aspirant

Multiple hard resets (with a paper clip) and multiple satellite moves and it's fixed. The two extra networks are gone and devices are attaching to both satellites.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. One thing I recommend doing, change the SSID name from the default one used on the RBR to something different and more custom. Can be anything and make it something fun. One reason why you might have had issues is that your using Orbis default wifi SSID name which can work however was ment to be a temporary SSID name during setup and is highly recommended that users change this name to something different and custom. This will help avoid connection issues later on during troubleshooting.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7