Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router V/S wired solution

columbiagorge
Aspirant

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router V/S wired solution

Regarding the Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router(RBR850 + 1 Satellite(RBS850). 6Gbps.Wow! I always thought of ethernet cable as faster than Wi-Fi radio. So, the “backhaul” is like a Virtual” cable between the router and satellite?

I know that it seems obvious that 6Gbps is greater than 1 Gbps, even so, please confirm for me which architecture would be more performant? (assuming ideal conditions & setup)

A Wi-Fi Router(RBR850) cabled to a 1 Gbps modem and a companion Wi-Fi Satellite (RBS850). (assuming both are setup properly and operating under ideal conditions).

-Or-

A 1Gbps switch cabled to a 1 Gbps modem and two (RBR850)  Wi-Fi routers cabled to the 1 Gbps switch. ( assuming that the second router is correctly configured—bridge, ssid…).

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
columbiagorge
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router V/S wired solution

Thank you, for your extremely helpful information. I respect your knowledge and beyond that, your willingness to share it.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@columbiagorge wrote:

Regarding the Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router(RBR850 + 1 Satellite(RBS850). 6Gbps.Wow! I always thought of ethernet cable as faster than Wi-Fi radio. So, the “backhaul” is like a Virtual” cable between the router and satellite?

I know that it seems obvious that 6Gbps is greater than 1 Gbps, even so, please confirm for me which architecture would be more performant? (assuming ideal conditions & setup)

A Wi-Fi Router(RBR850) cabled to a 1 Gbps modem and a companion Wi-Fi Satellite (RBS850). (assuming both are setup properly and operating under ideal conditions).

-Or-

A 1Gbps switch cabled to a 1 Gbps modem and two (RBR850)  Wi-Fi routers cabled to the 1 Gbps switch. ( assuming that the second router is correctly configured—bridge, ssid…).

1. That "6GB" number is an artificial, theoretical calculation assuming that all three WiFi channels operate at maximum capacity supporting WiFi6 devices all of which support MIMO.  This will never happen.  It is a marketing fiction.
  2. The second alternative is impossible.  Two routers cannot be connected to one modem through a switch. Only one router can be connected to a switch.
Message 2 of 8
columbiagorge
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn,

As a follow up here is really what I am after.

Question:            Is a wired ethernet backhaul faster than a wireless backhaul?

Running the cable is not an issue for me.

Reference:         I am referring to …Under Support/RB850/Configuration/NETGEAR Support/What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System?

image shows “how to connect your Orbi satellites to your Orbi router using star topology to create an Ethernet backhaul connection.”

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Not to extend this thread ... I'll take wired over wireless ANYDAY!

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

absolutely correct. If you an run a cable, do it.

Message 6 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

absolutely correct. If you an run a cable, do it.

In fact, if you have phycally fixed devices, like TV's entertainment systems, game consoles, network storage, use switches and put them on a wired network. You get the fastest pings, lowest latencies and the best bandwidth for devices that typically need the most data rates.

That will also offload devices and traffic from your wireless network, which can then be used for mobile stuff like smartphones, tablets etc.

Put IOT devices on a separate guest network to isolate them from your LAN.

Message 7 of 8
columbiagorge
Aspirant

Thank you, for your extremely helpful information. I respect your knowledge and beyond that, your willingness to share it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7